How much does it cost to get fertility treatments?

We have an 8 year old boy and a 6 year old girl. We really want twins. We know there's always the chance of getting more than two, and even three. But we have always wanted twins, and this is the last time we'll be having anymore kids. I'm 37, he's 39. Does it go by how many eggs are planted into you? or, what? lol, I havent really looked too much on it.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:49 PM on Jun. 3, 2010 in Health

• If you want twins YES you can try In-Vitro Fertilization. You can also choose the sex by doing an additional process called PGD (pre-genetic diagnosis). IVF here in NY costs approx. $10,000 out of pocket after Insurance (depending on the Insurance you have). The PGD costs an additional $6,000. There is NO guarantee that IVF will in fact work (result in a pregnancy). The Dr. will usually only put 2 maybe 3 embryos max. in at a time. There is no guarantee that any will survive. I had IVF with PGD done twice. The first time it did not work and with 28 eggs removed, only 2 fertilized but none took. The second time I had 28 eggs removed again, 5 fertilized but only one was viable and it worked. I have a wonderful little healthy boy. I did the PGD to rule out any genetic problems since I had a few miscarriages and I wanted to maximize my chances of actually getting pregnant & not being inseminated over & over.

Anonymous

• Friends of ours paid $10,000 per round of IVF - that 10k was AFTER their insurance had picked up the bigger part of it.
    Anonymous

• insurance can pay for it? Probably have to have a problem with conceiving though, right? thanks for your answer
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:03 AM on Jun. 4, 2010

• Grape fruit increases your chances of having twins...it's true..look it up!! ENJOY ...GL oh and so does being over 35..
    Anonymous

• awesome thanks! I dont like grapefruit, but i think i would get used to it lol
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:05 AM on Jun. 4, 2010

• i don't think any dr. would do that if you were not having fertility issues. especially after octomom.
    i had twins at 38. i believe that b/c i am older maybe extra eggs were just flying out of there in hopes of meeting a sperm before my body got too old : )
    i also read that there is something in sweet potatoes that are similar to the egg releasing hormone. probably just an old wives tale!
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 9:21 AM on Jun. 4, 2010

• oh...twins are very difficult in the end of the pregnancy and the first 3 months, be careful of what you wish for!
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 9:22 AM on Jun. 4, 2010