overweight toddler

My 20 month old is overweight, at least according to the height/weight charts for girls and her doctor. She is still BF, drinks skim milk and water (no juice), and doesn't eat processed foods at all (infact the one time I fed her fast food she had diarrhea for almost a week). I cook healthy food for her at home, whole grains and veggies and meats, and she runs around outside as much as possible, it;s 95 degrees now so a lot of time in the pool with her water wings and indoor hide and seek. But she always wants more food, even if its broccoli or peaches she just never stops, I think if I left it up to her she would eat 24/7. I don't want her to be "the fat girl". Suggestions?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:56 PM on Jun. 3, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Don't let her eat everytime she asks. Cut back a little.
    Anonymous

• I honestly wouldn't stress!! It is so good that you are aware of this but you are doing things right!! Kids go through growth sputs and this may be just a phase......sometimes when i think Im hungry I am really just thirsty..Try and water down her juice and drinks ....Don't stress...shes goning to outgrow this!! :) If not...talk to her dr about having her thyroid checked when shes older...GL
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:00 AM on Jun. 4, 2010

• never a reason to restrict fruits or veggies. Between meals, only give her fresh, raw fruits and veggies. I have one who does the same, and he was a chunky monkey when he was very small, but is now a rail. She's probably just bulking up for a growth spurt. Charts don't account for that.

I remember the Q about the fast food- And it seems like she eats really well (good for you mom!!), just cut back on the other snacky stuff, and let her have plain raw produce. That is what I do with my kids- and they self regulate that way.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 12:02 AM on Jun. 4, 2010

• she's compulsively eating just to eat and at that age you need to control how much she eats and know that she's not ALWAYS hungry. it's not just about being "the fat girl" it's her health and well being and even too much healthy food is harmful
    aliishott2

Answer by aliishott2 at 12:06 AM on Jun. 4, 2010

• The most obvious thing I see is drinking milk. She doesn't need to drink any milk and can drink only water. Just because foods aren't processed doesn't make them good foods or low cal. Try going to google and searching super foods. These the kinds of foods to focus on. Most are lower in fat and calories, nutrient dense. Whole grains are carbohydrates and may be high in calories.

My 20 mo breastfed grandson weighs about 22 pounds. He eats lots (unlimited) of fruits and veggies, some meat, and not so much grains (he is allergic to wheat and rice).

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 12:07 AM on Jun. 4, 2010

• OP My girl weighs 30 pounds. And she isn't tall for her age.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:12 AM on Jun. 4, 2010

• try going gluten free for a couple weeks and see if u see any changes. and no HFCS or refined sugar
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:00 AM on Jun. 4, 2010

• the only thing i see that could be causing issue is that she is both BF and drinking skim milk. cow's milk is completely unnecessary, especially since she is getting more wholesome nutritious milk from another source. you sound like you are doing everything right, and honestly i don't see a 30 pound toddler as overweight. most kids grow out, then shoot up, and she is more than likely following that pattern.
    my kids have unrestricted access to all the good food they can eat. it does seem that they never stop eating, and they are both 'normal'. as long as she is being given healthy choices, which it seems you are, i wouldn't be concerned.
    jcsmummy

Answer by jcsmummy at 3:07 AM on Jun. 4, 2010

• Compulsive eating can start that young. Certain people do not make as much of the chemical that signals the brain that it is full (simplified version to that). My 4 year old does the same thing, just as I did from about 18 months on. I fight it all the time, for me and for her. Good luck, I know how hard it is, especially when she's crying she's hungry and even though you know physically she's not, it still hurts to hear.
    shannipoo714

Answer by shannipoo714 at 8:03 AM on Jun. 4, 2010

• I wouldn't worry about it at all if she is eating healthy foods and is active. A toddlers weight means nothing really, at least not in relation to their physical build in a few years. A chuncky toddler now might thin out to be very slender by kindergarden. It's for sure nothing you should put your child on a "diet" for. They needed healthy fats for brain development.
    I assume that it was you that posted anon that your daughter weighs 30 lbs... that is just at the 95th% for her weight... which does NOT mean she is overweight.
    As far as her wanting to eat frequently... don't allow her to eat on the run and snack when she pleases. Set times for meals and snacks and have her sit in her chair for meals.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 10:24 AM on Jun. 4, 2010