Why??

My sisters kids (4&5) ask why CONSTANTLY. Anytime you tell them anything it is "why" before they even think about the question. Example... today the 5 year old was playing with a toy, when I told him not to break it he asks "why?". He obviously knows why he shouldn't break toys. Yet ever time anyone says anything they ask it.
Has anyone else dealt with this? How can my sister and I (I live with them and I am their main caretaker) stop this? We are both totally clueless with this one.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:15 AM on Jun. 4, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• If my kids know the answer and ask why anyway I ask them "why do YOU think....." My 5 year old will always say she doesn't know but you can see on her face she does. So i just say "ok then." and go on with what i am doing. Usually then she will Say "I know why, because...."
    SoniaL

Answer by SoniaL at 4:17 PM on Jun. 4, 2010

• Honestly I dont think they mean anything by it...I still ask why majority of the time and I am 23, lol...But lil ones are curious and even though it drives you nuts, answer him with a reason, even though they know why, it helps them to learn and expands their minds...
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:19 AM on Jun. 4, 2010

• Answer the question! :) This age is the age of questions sometimes you just have to find your patience and answer the questions. Soon enough they will stop asking because clearly you will have answered everything they thought about and now know it all! :)
    MamaRoberts

Answer by MamaRoberts at 12:20 AM on Jun. 4, 2010

• either answer the question if you can or just tell them straight up DON'T ASK WHY BC I SAY SO!!!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:47 AM on Jun. 4, 2010

• turn the question around on them and them what they think ! It worked great with my kids, made then think about things.
    IMAMOM2-2KIDS

Answer by IMAMOM2-2KIDS at 4:10 PM on Jun. 4, 2010