potty training boys

At what age did you start potty training your boy? My son is almost 2 and isn't showing any signs of wanting to potty train. He fights diaper changed with a vengeance and will lie about needing a bum change even when he has pooped.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:35 AM on Jun. 4, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• my son was fighting diapers and had no interest or capabilty of the potty - I don't think those 2 relate to all kids - my son is 2-1/2 and we started trying at 18 months- gave it a rest for a few months, tried again and did that another time - now he finally know's the feeling AFTER he goes in his diaper that it belongs in the potty and wants to go on there but I think he still doesn't know BEFORE he has to go - he HATES being naked so that has also hindered us in some trying as I thought naked summer in the back yard would help teach him the feeling before he went but we are getting to it now I think!!
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 11:29 AM on Jun. 4, 2010

• This sounds very familiar. My son didn't get trained until he was 3 1/2. For some reason most boys take a while to train. I tried everything I could. Sticker charts, new potty chair, and putting him on the pot every hour. Even after he was trained to go pee for some reason he was afraid to poo in the toilet. I say have a lot of patience and he will go when he is ready. Good luck!
    JayRo00

Answer by JayRo00 at 1:47 AM on Jun. 4, 2010

• my boy will be 2 next month. he will sit on the potty, but he doesn't go. i don't think he know that he needs to go before it happens yet. he lies about needing a diaper change, especially when he poops, mostly because he wants to choose when it happens. we've introduced him to the potty but are waiting for him to be ready. be patient mama, he won't be in diapers forever.
    jcsmummy

Answer by jcsmummy at 3:21 AM on Jun. 4, 2010

• My ds started potty-training at 2...he will be 3 in August and is fully potty-trained....has been since around Christmas. We started by having him where undies all day everyday...I would put him on the potty every hour or so. If/when he used the potty, he got a sticker. It only took a couple weeks for him to be able to go all day without an accident.
    Do whatever you can to make it fun for him, and give him tons of encouragement. Start out slow, by having him where underpants, so he can get used to them. Be consistent....and remember to be patient! It's a learning process and can take a while!!! :) GL!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 6:51 AM on Jun. 4, 2010

• If they are fighting diaper changes, that's usually a good indicator that they are ready and should be potty trained.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 6:52 AM on Jun. 4, 2010