So, an Atheist and a Bapist were at the bar...

And they happened to fall head over heals.

Now, its time to meet the parents.

How screwed is this said Atheist? Especially if the parents are heavily involved in the church. Is there a chance she can win them over with her excellent wit and charm or is this going to be strickingly similar to Meet the Parents?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:01 AM on Jun. 4, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• Do not mention religion... save that until later.. (This coming from a pagan who married into a Southern Baptist family)
    Kaelansmom

Answer by Kaelansmom at 3:02 AM on Jun. 4, 2010

• I completely agree. Let them get to know you first. I used to be Southern Baptist and am now a Pagan.
    pnwmom

Answer by pnwmom at 3:17 AM on Jun. 4, 2010

• my sister is an atheist and her husband is pentecostal... i'm not really sure how they entered that conversation with each other or his family.... they've been married 13 years tho...
    figaro8895

Answer by figaro8895 at 6:25 AM on Jun. 4, 2010

• Really depends on the parents not all Baptists are alike, same goes for Atheists. Be pleasant and avoid talking about religion.

RyansMom001

Answer by RyansMom001 at 6:37 AM on Jun. 4, 2010

• Perhaps not talking about personal beliefs (or the lack thereof, lol) at first, while still being encouraging and respectful of the practices of the family if it comes up (like if they pray before a meal, etc). If they feel like their beliefs are respected, they might be more accepting when they find out.
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 7:28 AM on Jun. 4, 2010

• (not that i'm implying you wouldn't be respectful, lol!)
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 7:29 AM on Jun. 4, 2010

• Just be careful with the relationship itself. You may both be downplaying your convictions, either thinking that they aren't that important to the other person, or that you love each other so much that you can work through these differences. Experience tells me that this can turn into an ugly beast later on. In my case, I'm agnostic, and I have no intention to raise my daughters to believe in something that I really don't think exists, but my husband, who was raised Baptist, frequently threatens to take them to church to indoctrinate them to believe what he was raised to believe. Just be cautious. The parents can put pressure on both of you, too, to follow those traditions, and if you have children together, the stakes are raised for them to really push the issue.

jsbenkert

Answer by jsbenkert at 9:11 AM on Jun. 4, 2010

• Well, if his parents start giving her grief, she can divert the attention away from her by pointing out he was in a bar too. LOL! I've known a number of Southern Baptists who claim drinking is a sin but still do.
    anng.atlanta

Answer by anng.atlanta at 10:20 AM on Jun. 4, 2010

• Wouldn't worry too much about the whole thing. If the Baptist is OK with being in a bar & thinks nothing of being "uneaqually yoked" with an athiest, they obviously don't take their faith very seriously & problems that will no doubt occur later in their marriage, doesn't concern them.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:49 AM on Jun. 4, 2010

• I thought this was a joke and was waiting for the punchline lol.

I agree with the others.  Be yourself and keep religion very low key.  Good luck!

beeky

Answer by beeky at 11:13 AM on Jun. 4, 2010