I am scared I am getting my dh flu and worried, can this harm my baby?

He had a fever of 102.9. This is what worries me the most....the fever harming the baby.

I havent even been to the Dr yet...I am about 5 weeks, just found out that I am pregnant!

Have an appointment next week!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:50 AM on Jun. 4, 2010 in Health

• It is possible that it can harm your baby..There are only certain things you can take while preggers...Call your dr and let them know in the a.m..They can give the best advice...
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:54 AM on Jun. 4, 2010

• I had the flu when I was 9 weeks pregnant with my daughter. I could only take tylenol, was in bed for 7 days! It was awful but once it was over me and baby were fine. My doctors family doc and OB never said that my baby would be harmed. She was my 2nd child and I was extremely sick, vomiting and not eating for the whole 1st 5 mos of pregnancy. She was born 37 wks and 5 days and was 7 lbs and 4 oz :) now is a healthy happy smart soon to be 4 yr old.
    Definitely see your doctor but I know your baby will be fine so don't worry!
    LoganAndKennedy

Answer by LoganAndKennedy at 7:47 AM on Jun. 4, 2010

• You must keep your temp down. If your body temp gets over 102.1 and stays there long enough it can harm the baby, especially during early pregnancy. If it's the flu and you've had it less than 48 hours, you need to contact your OB ASAP to get on Tamiflu. If you can't reach your OB easily then you should go to an urgent care clinic today. You need Tamiflu.

Until then, treat your fever with Tylenol ever 4 hours (no aspirin or ibuprofen while pregnant), dress cooler, put cold compresses in your armpits and groin, and drink plenty of ice water.
    ThrivingMom

Answer by ThrivingMom at 8:32 AM on Jun. 4, 2010

• you need to keep up your strength and immunity while you are pregnant. you need to sleep well and eat well. i strongly suggest a good probiotic from a health food store. please do not rely on prenatals for nutrition. you should try to meet all of your nutritional needs from eating whole foods. eat tons of veggies, and some fruit. go for daily walks too, sunshine is very good for you and your health. if you do get the flu, you should see your dr. personally, i would avoid any medication unless absolutely necessary.
    congratulations on your pregnancy!!!
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 9:12 AM on Jun. 4, 2010

• Not to freak you out, but I did lose a pregnancy at 14 wks because of the flu (but my fever spiked very rapidly to 104.) At the first sign of the flu call your doc. Take tylenol to keep down your temp
    karamille

Answer by karamille at 9:35 AM on Jun. 4, 2010

• Yes my family doctor prescribed tami flu, said it was safe for being pregnant but when I told my ob what he prescribed she said its a class c medication and I can take it but she usually advises not too unless you can not handle the symptoms on tylenol alone. I had filled the $50 rx and taken 1 dose and since I had miscarried just the month before finding out I was pregnant with my daughter, I decided not to continue taking it. Tylenol, luke warm baths and cool clots on my body kept my fever down. My body aches were terrible, 7 days seemed like forever but everything turned out fine. Keeping your fever down is most important and tylenol is safe for that.
    LoganAndKennedy

Answer by LoganAndKennedy at 9:08 AM on Jun. 6, 2010