"I take responsibility."

"The day that the rig collapsed and fell to the bottom of the ocean, I had my team in the Oval Office that first day," Mr. Obama said. "Those who think that we were either slow on our response or lacked urgency don't know the facts. This has been our highest priority since this crisis occurred."

Do you agree? Do you REALLY feel he is doing everything in his power to stop the flow of oil in the Gulf?

If so, then take a look at this little video montage, and please explain how you have come to such a conclusion.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MzllR24e-FY&feature=player_embedded

Based on the first 42 days, since this disaster occurred, I can, without a doubt, conclude he hasn't even come close to addressing this issue--except of course when there is an opportunity for a planned photo op! LOL :o)

LoriKeet

Asked by LoriKeet at 7:31 AM on Jun. 4, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• If a manufacturing plant were to explode, all government enforcement and government protection agencies would be on hand to logistically and physically ensure the people and the COMMUNITY were safe. In this case, Jindal ASKED, BEGGED for the federal government to help protect marshlands. The Federal Government wouldn't step up and help. Instead the Federal Government said they needed to do studies to see the environmental impact of Jindal's request. Political posturing on the side of the Federal Government. jmo

grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 7:45 AM on Jun. 4, 2010

• LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 7:37 AM on Jun. 4, 2010

• I agree they've been slow to respond. BUT many conservatives and tea partiers have been screaming the government gets involved too much in everything ever since he got into office. When the blame shifts to BP, I hear from the right, that this isn't the worst oil spill and people are making too much out of it. Then when people want to blame Obama its suddenly Obama's Katrina.
    AutumnLybbie

Answer by AutumnLybbie at 8:25 AM on Jun. 4, 2010

• He wasn't there when KY froze over. He wasn't there when TN flooded.Why would anyone expect him to be anywhere close to a disaster.
    jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 8:25 AM on Jun. 4, 2010

• I agree they've been slow to respond

--

Let me give you a clue......and I'm not even a government official. It should have went something like this...........

PHONE CALL`RING RING

hello, Mr. BP exec...yes..this is The Jackass....do you have any real plan of getting this disaster under control that will work?

NO..Mr. Jackass...we do not.

Ok...MR. BP exec...The U.S. Government will be there in about 4 hours to take care of it for you. Tell your people who are on site to step back.

JMHO

jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 8:29 AM on Jun. 4, 2010

• its suddenly Obama's Katrina.
    ----
    No not really, Obama took his time-like 45 days- to create his Katrina.
    jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 8:31 AM on Jun. 4, 2010

• hear from the right, that this isn't the worst oil spill
    ----------
    Well I must have missed all that. From what I've read it's 4 X the size of the Exxon spill in AK.
    Show me where someone said it isn't the worst oil spill, please. Now that we are on day 45-46
    jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 8:35 AM on Jun. 4, 2010

• "Potential environmental threat is 700,000 gallons of diesel on board the Deepwater Horizon and estimated potential of 8,000 barrels per day of crude oil, if the well were to completely blowout,"  The quote comes from one of the logs of the Coast Guard dated on April 21, less than a day after the accident.

It was an obvious disaster within a week of it blowing.  In the case of disasters, we expect quick action from the President and the Federal Government.  Governor Jindal was begging for help.  Yet it was over a month before Obama and Co. took any action, other than assuring people BP would pay for the clean up. 

mancosmomma

Answer by mancosmomma at 8:52 AM on Jun. 4, 2010

• It really doesn't matter what some conservatives were saying. Obama never plays up to the conservatives. They certainly didn't sway his position. This one falls squarely in the POTUS's lap. He was content to let BP handle it until the people of America got mad and the press got bad. Then, and only then, did he step up to the plate.

The question the OP asked was "Do you agree (with Obama's statement)?" Autumn, you don't agree with Obama's statement. You said " I agree they've been slow to respond.", in which you agreed with the OP.

Which means we are all in agreement. I'm quite happy we can all agree on something.
    mancosmomma

Answer by mancosmomma at 8:53 AM on Jun. 4, 2010

• Yes but we disagree on the reasons for why we are unhappy with this. For the conservatives, you guys would have found fault no matter what he did. As I said before Limbaugh and several other conservatives were saying this wasn't the worst oil spill when the media attention was focused on BP. We know conservatives don't like fingers pointed at big business. Your guy Roy Blunt even wanted to give more money to BP to help with the clean-up becuase of this. God forbid this should eat up any of their profits! I wonder if Blunt has a personal stake in those profits himself. He didn't seem to be too concerned with our tax dollars then! But then the media focus suddenly switches to the Obama administration and suddenly the conservatives jump on how bad this is. Any opportunity to jump all over how bad Obama is after all! I will keep my criticism of this to myself here. No need to fuel your fire any further.
    AutumnLybbie

Answer by AutumnLybbie at 9:11 AM on Jun. 4, 2010