Is pubic shaving common?

I discovered that my 14 year old daughter has been shaving her pubic hair off. How common is this and should I be concerned that she is becoming sexually active?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:01 AM on Jun. 4, 2010 in Teens (13-17)

• yeah,I'd be concerned about the sexual activity

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 8:06 AM on Jun. 4, 2010

• Why do we do it? Because it makes us feel sexy and we want to look good for our SO. Not sure what her motives would be, but it could be that she just wanted to see what the big deal is about it.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:08 AM on Jun. 4, 2010

• Well I have to add something to the PP, yeah I want to feel sexy and my SO likes it, but I do it more for the fact that I moved from a northern state to a southern state and I don't deal well with the heat and being bare down there helps me feel clean and fresh. Honestly I wish I had done it alot sooner.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:11 AM on Jun. 4, 2010

• She could just be doing it because all the other girls are doing it. I remember thats how i started shaving my legs, because all the others girls were way ahead of me.

My old argentinian mother always shaved her coochie. AND, she never had a boyfriend after my dad. She was just used to it & hated the thought of her bush literally growing into a bush...LOL! So, i shaved down there because i thought it was normal, not because i wanted to look hot for my SO.
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 8:18 AM on Jun. 4, 2010

• At 14 these days, she is most likely having sex. Did you talk to her about the birds and the bees??
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:59 AM on Jun. 4, 2010

• Well I sure wish someone would have talked to me about shaving with I was that age. I would wear a bathing suit and yikes it was scary. Maybe she is just trimming to look good in her suit. I didn't have sex until I was 17 but times are so different now its hard to tell. The way they make clothing these days my god the shorts the kids where leave little to the imagination. I don't know what most parents think or if they have any control over it but I see some young girls around and they look like they have been around the block and they can't be more than 14 or 15. Maybe its just me and they way I was raised but I know that my daughter will never be in those clothes because I buy them for her.
    Savymom25

Answer by Savymom25 at 10:29 AM on Jun. 4, 2010

• My girls are 16 and 19 and they do it because we have a pool and they don't want pub's hanging out of their suits.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 1:36 PM on Jun. 4, 2010

• I started shaving my pubic hair off around 13(I'm 19 now), and it wasn't because I was sexually active, it was because I thought pubes were just absolutely DISGUSTING! For some people it's just a cleanliness thing, and not sexual. Plus now it's the "in" thing to do for girls that age.
    IxAmxPintxSized

Answer by IxAmxPintxSized at 2:49 PM on Jun. 4, 2010

• I started shaving mine when I was about 15. I wasn't sexually active till I was 18.

I did it because it can be quite bushy down there and I was embarassed about it sticking out when in bathing suits and wearing my bloomers while cheerleading.
    unknwndreamer

Answer by unknwndreamer at 3:17 PM on Jun. 4, 2010

• my high school freshman does too. she is not sexually active (she tells me sooo much more than she should so I know she isnt), but she does where thong underwear and in the pe locker room it is kind of gross to have hairs showing.

Anonymous