A screaming 2 year old, how do I get him to stop?

I have a 2 year old son. He listens very well, but when i tell him no or if his sister denys him something, he will scream at the top of his lungs. He is so loud. I live in appartments now and i can't have him screaming like this. I have tried, corner time and spankens. Any suggestions?

TulsaMommy

Asked by TulsaMommy at 8:28 AM on Jun. 4, 2010 in General Parenting

• I'm betting he counts on the fact that you desperately need him to be quiet and he might get his way if he screams. I am not in an apartment now but I know how you try to be quiet for neighbors. It is easy to make enemies in such close quarters! lol
    I honestly think ignoring may be your best option. If he realizes it isn't getting to you and therefore getting his way he will probably stop. Also, I don't spank but I do know that the key with timeouts is consistency. You can't switch back and worth over and over trying to find a discipline technique. You have to pick 1 and stick with it because it takes repetition of using it for it to become effective. They have to know this punishment will happen EVERY time. Not maybe it will, maybe it won't.
    SoniaL

Answer by SoniaL at 8:35 AM on Jun. 4, 2010

• It's a phase. My son started at about 18 months, he is 21 months now and ocassionally does it. It's a power struggle. All I can say is be consistent and once you have told him No stick to it. If you don't want him having things or getting into things he is in, put them where he can't get them. Then that fight is somewhat avoided. It sucks, I know. Instead of a corner I put mine in the play pen, no toys and no discussion, just said No screaming to him and left him there until he calmed down then told him again when getting him out, No screaming (or hitting when he does that too). I also spank him, which seams to be a faster "fit" than the playpen.
    2BlondeBabies

Answer by 2BlondeBabies at 8:37 AM on Jun. 4, 2010

• I don't know but my nephew who is going to be 2 next month does the same thing you tell him no and he will scream and cry and throw a tantrum so I am looking for advice as well to give to my sister
    mommy5409

Answer by mommy5409 at 8:46 AM on Jun. 4, 2010

• lately i just put them in there room ( bed) and shut the door and walk away when it's quiet i go back sure i do it like 5 times a day but i really dont want to be spanking anymore and dont want to loose my mind either also being alone gives them a chance to self soothe and then i offer something he can have or divert his attention the best i can... good luck but find one method and stick to it . within a few days/weeks he'll get it
    hugs
    mirit.rose

Answer by mirit.rose at 8:50 AM on Jun. 4, 2010

• its all a power struggle, he knows you don't want to annoy the neighbors. Stop caring bout them for a bit & let him scream. When he starts to scream just look at him, & walk away. Since he's used to you doing something to stop him from screaming doing nothing will come as a surprise to him. Sometimes ignoring the behaviors you want him to stop doing & overrewarding for behaviors you want him to do works better than punishing. He'll learn he's not getting the reaction he wants from you & knock it off. Make sure to pay nice attention to him when he stops screaming, redirect his attention w/ something he can do or his fav song.
    Nyx7

Answer by Nyx7 at 9:03 AM on Jun. 4, 2010

• The best advice I was ever given was : The band does not play to an empty room. If you walk away they will learn to stop having a fit. Some of it they just outgrow-some is learning what works and does not. As far as the apt-well, as long as its not too late its just the way it is... I live in apts (without kids) and learned that hearing noise was part of apt living.

Hang in there Momma-they do learn!
    soyousay

Answer by soyousay at 9:27 AM on Jun. 4, 2010

• You are smarter than a 2 year old. You should be able to figure out how to avoid power struggles, at least almost all the time. Here is a famous article about saying no to toddlers and rething what we are doing:

http://www.webmd.com/parenting/features/say-no-without-saying-no

The average toddler hears no 400 times a day!!! With my 20 mo grandson we save no and stop for important or emergency type situations like running into the street. Because we have done that no and stop are effective. Even if you are very skilled at parenting there may be "issues". My grandson didn't want to take a Star Wars shirt for 3 days and screamed when I took it off.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 9:27 AM on Jun. 4, 2010

• Its not a "phase" he knows you want him to be quiet as fast as possible. Two year olds are smart. When he starts up put him in his bed and make him sit there until he is silent. This has worked with all my children and it works with my nephew. It will take awhile and he will have to get used to you following through. It will stop the tantrums. It is daytime, your neighbors will get over it. CHildren are loud.
    matthewscandi

Answer by matthewscandi at 9:39 AM on Jun. 4, 2010

• If you do try the sitting on the bed don't go in there and tell him to be quiet either. Put him in there and tell him in an "inside voice" he can get out when he is quiet one time and then leave. Don't try to yell over him because that will just make him want to be louder.
    matthewscandi

Answer by matthewscandi at 9:41 AM on Jun. 4, 2010

• My son does the same thing!! I have found that when i tell him, "do you want a spankin or a swat?" He says no then i say," then stop screaming" and he will kinda wimper but i found that it works for me for the time being and if he doesnt stop i ask again and give him a spankin if it continues. Good Luck i hope this will help you too
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:47 AM on Jun. 4, 2010