We've been trying to concieve for 3 months. I was on the pill for about 10 years. How long should we wait until we see the doctor? WE are both 35.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:38 AM on Jun. 4, 2010 in Trying to Conceive

• At least 6 months of active trying. A doctor might want to wait longer than that, but that's the minimum you should give it.

Keep in mind that it takes an average of 3-4 months for any normal, fertile couple. So no need to even start to worry just yet. :)
    DragonRiderMD

Answer by DragonRiderMD at 8:47 AM on Jun. 4, 2010

• how long have you been off the pill? for 3 mon? My doc told me when i came off depo to give it 9 months..i don't know if thats the same for the pill.
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 8:53 AM on Jun. 4, 2010

• This is just me, but my DH and I decided to start TTC. The first thing I did was make an appointment with my OB, as I had complications in carrying my son (who is now 10) and I am on the pill. (The appointment with my OB was last week). She told me, when I finish this pack of pills, stop taking them. Start taking prenatal vitamins with folic acid & DHC, and gave me a prescription for them. And she told me to make sure I had 2 normal cycles before we really started TTC. So, that was the advice from my OB. Hope it helps!
    mommy11260

Answer by mommy11260 at 9:05 AM on Jun. 4, 2010

• 6 months
    ThrivingMom

Answer by ThrivingMom at 9:16 AM on Jun. 4, 2010

• At least 6 months before you worry about it at all. Why not go to your DR and tell them you and hubby are going to start trying for a family. Then you will be able to ask any questions. Thats one thing most people don't do but it's a good idea to know what to be doing for yourself and your baby before concieving. They will probably tell you to take certain vitamins and extra folic acid etc.
    Good Luck
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 9:22 AM on Jun. 4, 2010

• The first thing I would do is pick up a copy of Taking Charge of Your Fertility by Toni Weschler. You've been on the pill for 10 years; you probably have no idea what your real cycles are like. Not to mention your body is still adjusting. One of the biggest mistakes people make when TTC is assuming that their cycles are 28 day cycles with ovulation on day 14. That typically isn't the case. It's an average. Knowing when you ovulate can make all the difference in the world when it comes to how fast you conceive.
    ncbirdie

Answer by ncbirdie at 9:28 AM on Jun. 4, 2010

• First of all, you are still totally within "normal" range though I'm sure you know that... It took us 3 months to get pregnant (after 3 months off the pill before even ttc) and I was only 27 years old... But what I would do, in your case, is monitor your cycle closely and record everything. There are certain things you could learn about your cycle that could clue you (and your doctor) into potential problems before you've waited a full 6-12 months... For example, if you learn that you ovulate very late in your cycle, making your luteal phase shorter than 10 days, that makes it difficult to get pregnant. I think if you have that documented and can show an OB that after even 2-3 months, they would probably be able to start a hormonal therapy to increase your chances. This way, too, you guys won't wear yourselves out early on if you're not even ovulating yet. Good luck!
    Anonymous

• don't worry yet....I was on the pill over 10 yrs also and was all nervous that I would never be able to get pregnant but before I even had the chance to think about really trying to GET pregnant I had been off the pill a little about 3 months and never had a regular cycle that made sense and I was suddenly pregnant so don't second guess your body! I was told a year after bcp to get preg after being on it so long was normal so I was ready for a long time and everyone who told me that was wrong and I was shocked and happy but not quite ready yet :) baby is due in August...give your body some time and take vitamins
    mysilentmorning

Answer by mysilentmorning at 6:41 PM on Jun. 4, 2010