Would you be offended if a family member bought you...

"What to Expect the First Year" book? I had this book and I can honestly tell you it was a lifesaver! It is so informative and who wouldn't want to further their education? We bought it for my BIL's girlfriend and they got weird about it. Would you?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:55 AM on Jun. 4, 2010 in Just for Fun

• Nope, would've found it helpful. I always include the receipt when I give a gift, my idea might not be theirs. Just wait to smirk until her baby gets here & she tells you how helpful the book was :)
    Nyx7

Answer by Nyx7 at 8:58 AM on Jun. 4, 2010

• eh... i had like, 10 people give me that book... i skimmed through it, but most of it was common sense to me... maybe they already got a copy? i always include a receipt with a baby shower gift... baby showers are known for being the source of repeat gifts.
    gracefulsky

Answer by gracefulsky at 9:04 AM on Jun. 4, 2010

• No. I get all excited when people buy me books. I love books. "What to Expect the First Year" was a great book to have. Maybe your BIL's girlfriend hates to read.
    Pnukey

Answer by Pnukey at 9:06 AM on Jun. 4, 2010

• I wouldn't be offended. But who knows what they were really thinking/feeling. Maybe it was something other than offended. I have never read that book but I hear it has bad breastfeeding advice.
    SoniaL

Answer by SoniaL at 9:06 AM on Jun. 4, 2010

• I would have liked it!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:09 AM on Jun. 4, 2010

• Offended, no. Is it a good book, no. It has a lot of bad info and advice and I would never recommend it. I buy it at places like yard sales and thrift stores and throw it away so young moms won't buy it.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 9:10 AM on Jun. 4, 2010

• No. It's a good book and every new mom I know has read it.
    ThrivingMom

Answer by ThrivingMom at 9:16 AM on Jun. 4, 2010

• No, but I wouldn't make a big deal about how you think she acted either. It's a nice gift, maybe she thinks she doesn't need it. Thats her business. She should be gracious and just say thank you.
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 9:18 AM on Jun. 4, 2010

• I wouldn't. My mom got me a pregnancy book when I was pregnant with my first. I had already been reading them but she wanted to help and the one she got was amazing. My sister gave me a book about toddlers when my son turned 1, again I was not offended. It had a lot of great tips on how to deal with certain situations. I don't know what the problem is with your BIL's girlfriend. Even if she thought she didn't need it, she should have said thank you and moved on.
    wildflowers25

Answer by wildflowers25 at 9:22 AM on Jun. 4, 2010

• I've never read that one, but I understand what to expect when you are expecting is terrible. I have more than 30 cousins. I'm one of the older ones. My aunts have been dropping their babies in my lap since I was 7 so they could eat dinner. Nobody in my family would EVER think to give me such a book.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:24 AM on Jun. 4, 2010