vitex

Has anyone ever taken vitex to bring on af or to get regular? I have been reading about it online and heard that it is good for breastfeeding moms to take to bring on AF. My son is 10 months and still no af. For medical reasons it is best that DH and I have another baby sooner rather than later, so I am trying to bring on AF. Do you know how well it works or how fast? thanks.

jombmomi

Asked by jombmomi at 9:50 AM on Jun. 4, 2010 in Trying to Conceive

• I started Vitex three days ago and it seems like AF is coming because this morning a had some spotting. I hvae heard so many good things about it. I got mine at the Vitamin Shop. I was on depo 9 for three month) and never had my period on it, so Vitex seems to " really" help.
    DeLaiz

Answer by DeLaiz at 10:47 AM on Jun. 4, 2010

• Hi, this is me again. I just found this >> http://natural-fertility-info.com/how-long-should-i-take-vitex.html

They have a lot info about Vitex. I hope it helps.
    DeLaiz

Answer by DeLaiz at 11:00 AM on Jun. 4, 2010

• thanks. Where did you get your vitex? Do you know if they have it at Whole foods or GNC?
    jombmomi

Answer by jombmomi at 11:18 AM on Jun. 4, 2010

• I got mine at the " Vitamin Shoppe (store). Google VITAMIN SHOPPE and go to store location to find one close to your house. I think the whole food store has it too., but I don't know about GNC. I think it is worth trying. Keep me posted. I will let you know if it worked for me too. I am hoping to get pregnant soon.
    DeLaiz

Answer by DeLaiz at 11:26 AM on Jun. 4, 2010

• I'm also breastfeeding (my son is 11 months) and we are wanting to TTC but my cycles have not returned. I started Vitex 3 days ago. I'm taking 1200 mgs.

I've researched Vitex for weeks and what I've read says that you will probably have to take 2-3 times what it says on the bottle to induce AF because the dose on the bottle is used for things like making PMS easier, menopause, etc. The dose on my bottle is 800mgs so I increase it to up to 2400mgs until AF arrives.

After AF arrives cut it back down to between 800 and 1000mgs until ovulation. After ovulation cut it to 400mgs until either AF arrives for the next cycle or you get your BFP.

Taking Vitex is actually really good for BF moms trying to get their cycle back because it raises the progestrone and lowers the prolactin. Prolactin is what keeps you from ovulating but it can also cause a temporary BF induced Luteal Phase Defect which means that your period of time
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:33 AM on Jun. 4, 2010

• Hi anon. 11:33 Please be careful when taking high dosage of Vitex. The maximal you should take is 1200 Mg per day. More than that can be harmful to you.
    DeLaiz

Answer by DeLaiz at 11:37 AM on Jun. 4, 2010

• between ovulation and the start of the next period is less then 10 days.

When this happens it keeps you from being able to substain a pregnancy. A temporary LPD is common when BF mom's cycles first return. Vtiex can help you have regular Luteal Phases from the beginning.

It also decreases the chance of miscarriage caused by low progestrone levels because it helps to raise those levels.

GOOD LUCK TO YOU! I hope we BOTH get AF soon so we can get to baby making. LOL
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:38 AM on Jun. 4, 2010

• I'm only taking the 1200mg right now but several different Nuropath sites I found said that taking 2-3 times the amount recommended on the bottle temporarily to induce AF had not been found to cause any problems.

It simply said to watch out for side affects and cut the dose back down if I experienced any.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:40 AM on Jun. 4, 2010

• ANON- Have you noticed any difference in your milk by taking 1200 mg per day and still nursing? I know my son is not ready to wean and I have seen that one side effect is it can reduce the amount of milk.
    jombmomi

Answer by jombmomi at 11:54 AM on Jun. 4, 2010

• I actually have MORE milk. I've started leaking again. I only found one site where a women experienced low milk supply because of Vitex. Many sites say that it can increase milk supply. I thought that was kind of strange since it lowers prolactin but right now I'm experiencing an over supply.

We are not planning to wean any time soon, either.

I used Fertility Blend when we were TTC him and I was still breastfeeding my daughter. My cycles had already returned but I had a severe Luteal Phase Defect because of the high prolactin levels. Fertility Blend has Vitex in it and I never experienced any issues then.

I nursed her for the first 4 months of my pregnancy without issue as well.

If you do experience problems just cut back on the amount or discoutinue until your child can handle a minor drop in supply. Marathon nursing will rise you prolactin levels if need be.
    Anonymous