How do you feel about a 4 day school week?

country where students attend school just four days a week, a cost-saving tactic gaining popularity among cash-strapped districts struggling to make ends meet. The 4,000-student district started shaving a day off its weekly school calendar last year to help fill a $1 million budget shortfall.

It was that or lay off 39 teachers the week before school started, said Superintendent Susan Clark.

"We're treading water," Clark said as she stood outside the headquarters of her seven-school district. "There was nothing else for us to do."

The results? Test scores went up.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/us_four_day_school_week

sweet-a-kins

Asked by sweet-a-kins at 9:50 AM on Jun. 4, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• Laying off 39 teachers is bad for the 39 teachers but you don't eliminate a school day for 4,000 students to save jobs for 39 teachers. Too bad for them. Schools should think more about students and not worry about having to elimiinate teaching jobs.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 10:17 AM on Jun. 4, 2010

• as a dual working family, this would provide a child care NIGHTMARE for us, and thousands of other families
    peanutsmommy1

Answer by peanutsmommy1 at 9:51 AM on Jun. 4, 2010

• sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 9:52 AM on Jun. 4, 2010

• Wouldn't bother me,I'm a SAHM,but my son would be mad. He loves school,and he needs the 5 day week for his autism

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 9:55 AM on Jun. 4, 2010

• If they can lay off the social programs and focus on reading, mathematics, science, history, and physical education~ Then I think it is a GREAT idea. But how do you do that when you have teachers and government wanting the schools to set and teach curriculum of social-justice programs that should be left for the parents/families/etc....

grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 9:56 AM on Jun. 4, 2010

• Wouldn't bother me.
    matthewscandi

Answer by matthewscandi at 9:57 AM on Jun. 4, 2010

• I agree with peanutsmommy and grlygrlz.
    QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 10:02 AM on Jun. 4, 2010

• I wouldn't mind having my daughter at home for an extra day, but education is already going down the drain and school is 5 days a week. I would propably decide to homeschool if that happened.
    pipermomofash

Answer by pipermomofash at 10:05 AM on Jun. 4, 2010

• Doesn't matter to me know because my kids are in college but I prefer the 5 days a week for 2 major reasons. If they went to school 4 days the day would have to be longer and I think our kids school days are long enough already. Parents who work would have to find and pay for child care.
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 10:16 AM on Jun. 4, 2010

• I dont see a problem with it. Fridays are mostly used for testing and quiz days anyway. No new lesson is every taught on a Friday, especially for the younger grades. If it helps keeps teachers and retain the budget I dont see the problem. They would still have to go 181 days so they may just be in school longer.
    lilmsnay83

Answer by lilmsnay83 at 10:18 AM on Jun. 4, 2010