My 5-year-old "got married"...

It was the cutest thing. She and Brian, the little boy next door decided to get married. She gathered all her stuffed animals and us and Brian's family and Brian's 7-yr-old sister "married" them.
Now my daughter is upset because married people are supposed to spend all their time together and live in the same house but she and Brian can't. I explained to her it was a make believe wedding but she's really upset and she even constantly cries about it. What can I do?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:00 AM on Jun. 4, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Oh gosh! This is why I don't put too much into my son saying he's going to marry Katelyn (his friend at school). This other little girl at school, Katie, calls my son Prince Noah and she's a princess and going to marry her Prince Noah. Oy, lol.

Funny thing is I like Katie, she's so cute and silly, and so is my son - they are very alike. But he doesn't like her, and I can't figure out why but he likes the quiet girl instead and says he will marry her but I'm still his girlfriend.

I guess maybe point out to her that the princess movies are make believe just like her little wedding and it was playing dress up and pretend time.
    rio_burb

Answer by rio_burb at 10:05 AM on Jun. 4, 2010

• just try to explain to her that you don't really get married until you are way older and finished with all your school and stuff. Thats what i tell my son.
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 10:05 AM on Jun. 4, 2010

• Awww! Just explain to her that when she gets older she will have a real wedding. That her and her husband will live together happily and spend all their time together. Just right now the pretend wedding means that her and Brian are just friends. That they can still hang out, but they have to live in seperate houses.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 10:08 AM on Jun. 4, 2010

• My daughter got married last month (on her fifth bday lol) and she thought it was real too. I told her that if she was really married she would have to move out because married people don't live with their parents and I also told her she would only see us a couple times a month because we are planning on travelling around the world when she's married. Finally she said "you know mommy, I was just kidding. It really WAS a make believe wedding!"
    pipermomofash

Answer by pipermomofash at 10:09 AM on Jun. 4, 2010

• Tell her to go live with Brian. She will miss you and come home once Brian starts playing his video games and ignoring her!
    Anonymous

• anon 4:17...that is a really cute answer.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 8:42 PM on Jun. 6, 2010