what is a good long term birthcontrol with no hormone changes.

im 24 and my husband and i are about to have our second child and after this one we would like to wait about 6-9 years and have our last. whats the best type of birth control? i cant take things like the pill, b/c of the hormones. and how did these methods work for you?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:21 AM on Jun. 4, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Paragard IUD lasts 10 years and has no hormones. Its copper which your body has in it naturally. WAY less side effects and issues than the Mirena.
    I have had 2 of these between 2 and 3 and 3 and 4...and I loved them. They don't prevent BFing, they don't have to be remembered and again theres NO hormones at all..I can't do hormone either
    tabi_cat1023

Answer by tabi_cat1023 at 7:36 PM on Jun. 4, 2010

• i would look into natural family planning.
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 10:25 AM on Jun. 4, 2010

• nuvaring...very low hormone dose and you only have to worry about taking it once a month cause you insert it and leave it for 3 weeks
    aliishott2

Answer by aliishott2 at 10:46 AM on Jun. 4, 2010

• Paragard IUD - I've had it for 4 months now & I love it. No hormones, good for 10 years, doesn't hurt milk supply. My favorite part - NOTHING to do! It's in, it's there, nothing to think about. I love it.
    Wheepingchree

Answer by Wheepingchree at 11:16 AM on Jun. 4, 2010

• I suggest the Paraguard also it's inserted just like Mirena but it's the copper in it that stops you from getting pregnant. It works for ten years and the only problem we have is my husband said sometimes the strings poke himbut it's a small price to pay to have that level of security.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:56 AM on Jun. 4, 2010

• I can't handle hormonal birth control either.

I started using Fertility Awarness Method 3 years ago and it's been great. It's easy to do, takes very little time and allows you to just be normal AND when you are ready to get pregnant again you will likely be able to do it quickly because you won't have anyting in your system.

Get the book Taking Charge Of Your Fertility.
    Anonymous

• Do not get an IUD of any sort - they're worse than hormonal BCs. I personally am a fan of the depo shot, but guessing that's on your "no" list. You'd really be best off talking to your OB about this. But there have been so many horror stories about the IUD, especially here on cafemom, that I can't believe they're still on the market. And another thing to remember - NO BC is 100% - you can get pregnant on ANY BC out there - abstinence (hahaha) is the only thing proven to be 100% effective ;).
    Anonymous

• I have mirena and i love it. it has levenogestrel (which is like progestin) so I don't know if it would be on your no list. paraguard would be good. it is the only non hormonal long term birth control. the only other completely non hormonal birth controls are barriers and natural family planning.
    rhianna1708

Answer by rhianna1708 at 2:26 PM on Jun. 4, 2010

• I've also had the Paragard IUD and LOVED it. Yes, you might experience more cramping and a heavier flow during your period, but i'm more than happy to pay that price for non-hormonal BC that lasts TEN YEARS!
    milfalicious08

Answer by milfalicious08 at 10:31 PM on Jun. 4, 2010

• What about a diaphragm? They work without hormones and have no side effects. They never caused a stroke, infertility or PID; you won't gain weight, get depressed, or lose your libido; your periods won't be affected. They have never been the subject of class action lawsuits and are instantly reversible.

Answer by rkoloms at 10:15 PM on Jun. 5, 2010