spitting up after breastfeeding

I have an 8 day old daughter who spits up a lot after taking milk directly from the breast. I had trouble getting her to latch at first so she got pumped milk warmed up. Now that she is latching she spits up so much more getting warm milk. When I warmed up her milk I never made it real warm, just warm enough to not be cold from the fridge. Last night she actually refused to drink much out of the breast, and the same with this morning. Could the warmth be upsetting her stomach, or is it normal for more spit up this way? Thanks

sweetjpea

Asked by sweetjpea at 10:22 AM on Jun. 4, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• it could be overactive letdown
    peanutsmommy1

Answer by peanutsmommy1 at 10:26 AM on Jun. 4, 2010

• well it could also be that she is geting to much milk. I was told i didnt produce enough milk for my little guy and now he is bring it all back up (just the breast milk not the forumla that we where told to give him also) and when i talked the doctor today they told me he may be getting to much. Just rember that even if she is getting the breast milk though a bottle she is still getting it and that is what matters.
    Rhiannon1980

Answer by Rhiannon1980 at 11:39 AM on Jun. 4, 2010

• It sounds like over active let down. Infants are meant to breastfeed so the warmth of the milk would not be affecting her.

The reason she probably did better after the bottle was because she wasn't getting so much milk. When you have a "forceful letdow" or an "overactive" let down the baby will often just gulp it and end up with to much milk in their belly. It can also prevent them from getting enough hinde milk.

The best thing to do is to either pump off 1/2 ounce to an ounce of milk from each side and then put her to the breast OR take a burp cloth and gently squeeze your nipple to release some of the milk into the cloth.

If you put you can suringe feed her the rest if she still wants it after you finish nursing her.

I would AVOID bottles during this time if at all possible as to avoid nipple confusion which can cause latching problems.
    Anonymous

• http://www.kellymom.com/ has TONS of info on Forceful Letdown.

Also if you notice your baby having more of a greenish poop than a mustard yellow like most breastfed babies that is another sign the baby could be getting more than the average amount of forth milk which could cause gas and vomitting.

Anonymous

• Follow the advice for overactive letdown. And If I were you, I would get rid of the bottles. A lot of babies do not latch well when they keep getting bottles especially with non-breast friendly ones. Nipple confusion can cause latch problems and bottle preference which is not what you want. A baby doesn't need a bottle to get expressed milk...they can feed by cup, spoon, or syringe.      Check out   www.drjacknewman.com

If you get worried about if your baby is getting milk, remember to look at OUTPUT not input. A baby that is getting plenty of milk from the breast has plenty of wet diapers (6-8).

amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 2:57 PM on Jun. 4, 2010

• I forgot to mention, infants do spit up some. A little is of no concern. Sometimes burping can help.
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 4:13 PM on Jun. 4, 2010

• Bet this is the deal
    http://www.kellymom.com/bf/supply/fast-letdown.html

If you are getting enough milk when pumping at her age then I bet you have an oversupply, this happens and that causes babies to reject the breast and spit up.
    tabi_cat1023

Answer by tabi_cat1023 at 7:31 PM on Jun. 4, 2010