8 month old twins, biting. advice?

so one of my twins has shown signs of trying to bite his brother since about seven months. I totally understand that its instinct and all and that it IS normal, but I'm still concerned for their safety, i dont want anyone getting hurt.

Anyone else dealt with this?
Does saying "No bites" after he does it, help, even at this age?

What happens is he'll want a toy his brother has OR his brother will try to take his toy, so Taden, the biter, will go after Ty's arm or hand, or shoulder, or back.... with his mouth. I always say "no bites", move him, give him back his toy or get him a toy (if he didnt have the one he was after, first)

so I'm defusing the situation, removing him, redirecting him, and trying to avoid blood.

my question is; what did you do, will learn what "no bites" means at this age, etc.

ElsaSalsaaa

Asked by ElsaSalsaaa at 10:30 AM on Jun. 4, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I had the same issue off and on from about that age to about 18 months. I did pretty much the same as you. I moved the culprit away from the victim, and if a toy was involved I left it with the victim (unless he was bitten for taking the to away, and then I took the toy from both of them). Before they were walking I was able to sometimes separate their play area so they couldn't get to one another so that the victim could have some safe play time without being bitten. Around 17 months we started using time outs for biting, and the problem quickly faded. I'm not sure you can completely train them to not follow their instincts at 8 months, but you can move them and redirect them. If you have a side by side stroller be aware that they culprit can reach the victim in there and the victim can't get away (this very thing ended many shopping trips for us). GL!

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:50 AM on Jun. 4, 2010

• 8 month old is young just keep redirecting them & keep saying no bite..and don't leave them alone.
    maiahlynn

Answer by maiahlynn at 11:04 AM on Jun. 4, 2010