advice with tubal please!

please no one bash me. I just need any insight from someone who has had one done. I am sure I want this done, that's not the issue. I just want to gain info from your experience. was it painful? healing time? periods afterwards? anything will help, thanks

Adeline1210

Asked by Adeline1210 at 10:33 AM on Jun. 4, 2010 in Health

• I had Essure done instead. The pain during the procedure was bearable. But my one anesthetic didn't work so that is why I felt it. As for healing time, I was down that day and that was it. Now my periods are back to how they were before I had my kids. If you want I can link my journals about it, just let me know.
    purpleducky

Answer by purpleducky at 10:40 AM on Jun. 4, 2010

• I had mine done last year. Pain...was minimal, sore and was okay if moved slowly for a few days. SInce it is old a few little cuts(I had 3 usually its only 2) the healed fast with in days for me. Periods were normal for me never changed. The main thing was the gas pain from when they full your belly up. It seems to settle in the shoulders that hurt buta ehating pad helped me with that. I am very glad I had mine done!!
    IMAMOM2-2KIDS

Answer by IMAMOM2-2KIDS at 10:40 AM on Jun. 4, 2010

• I had a tubal done 2 almost 3 yrs ago and no not painful an incision in the belly button real small they fill you with some air and cut. I left same day I was very gassy :( I was on Birth control before I had the surgery and would have uncontrolable bleeding and mood swings so I decided alongwith my husband to get my tubes tied I was only 26.I have weird periods now heavy and usually late :( I feel different after the surgery. I look back and at the time it was a great idea now Im not so sure I can always get them untied but overall I dont think I made the right choice at the time...
    starestrada

Answer by starestrada at 10:41 AM on Jun. 4, 2010

• I had my tubes tied in 2004 and until then I had no problems with my periods. Afterwards I would have extremely heavy periods and they got to the point where I could hardly leave the house. I know plenty of people who have had no problems but I regret it. My cousin had the same problems and had a hysterectomy at the age of 30. I had the Novasure procedure to stop my periods without having to worry about hormones.
    jessicazeksmom

Answer by jessicazeksmom at 11:16 AM on Jun. 4, 2010

• I regret it I wish it were never done i have the worst periods since then I can't leave the house because the bleeding is so heavy I had to quit my job due to the absences I had during my period the cramping is unbearable and i never experienced problems w my period until afterI had it done in 2002. It's a pain really cuz I have to make sure everything is done before it starts cuz I constantly overbleed it never fails when I go out when I have it..
    chica679

Answer by chica679 at 11:26 AM on Jun. 4, 2010

• Please, I can not stress it enough, do extensive research concerning "PTLS" (highlight, right click & hit search on it right now.)

I had a tubal almost 3 years ago. Since then I began experiencing menopausal symptoms, have horrible periods- although regular now, every 30-32 days (I will go through ULTRA absorbency tampons in less than an hour- pass clots the size of small lemons, and have such severe cramping that I am unable to stand at times. It feels like being in labor).
    PTLS is very real, and something you will NOT, I repeat ***WILL NOT*** be warned about by the medical community, because it is a byproduct of medical intervention (ie surgery). It will affect you for the remainder of your life. It affects upwards of 60% of women who have the procedure.

If I had known then, what I know now... I NEVER would have done it. Never.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 11:42 AM on Jun. 4, 2010

• I had mine done a little over 3 years ago, the morning after I gave birth to my 4th child. They made a small incision in my belly button, and now the scar is pretty much gone - even the surgeon hardly noticed it when I had a different abdominal surgery 9 months later. Since I was recovering from labor & birth, it wasn't the greatest recovery - overall my full recovery didn't take any longer than having a baby without the surgery, lol. My periods aren't as regular anymore - I used to be able to set a clock by them. Now I go anywhere from 4-7 weeks in between. They are heavier but shorter - used to be 8 days, now I have half a day light, 2 days heavy, another day-day and a half light, and done. If we'd had the extra money, DH would have been snipped - but my insurance covered me fully since I did it while still in the hospital after delivering. I don't regret it at all!
    Anonymous