What should I do?

My father-N-law is pretty much not in the picture as well as the rest of that family. My daughter is 4 and he has seen her maybe 3 times for a short period of time. I have not mentioned his name and neither has my husband. His grandmother (who was on the phone when I went into labor) never saw our daughter until after her 1st birthday, to which she and the whole family was invited. I have since that day stopped inviting them to things. only two people from that family even came to our wedding. His mother lives in the same state as his father and I see his mother a few times a year and talk to her on the phone, we have a good relationship. Well my question is this, should I keep doing what I am doing just not mention him until she asks about him. My thinking is that if he doesn't care about his son or his sons family why should I bother telling my daughter about him or the rest of the family? we are not bothered by his absence

Savymom25

Asked by Savymom25 at 10:40 AM on Jun. 4, 2010 in General Parenting

• I was in the same boat. My ex father in law lived 5 hours away, but never came, called, sent a card, nothing to any of my 3 children or my ex. We never mentioned him or the rest of his family to the kids at all - and they didn't ask. The now know that he passed away last year, because my ex told them but they haven't expressed any feelings either way about the fact that he never wanted to see them (they are 8, 10, and 12).

Answer by missanc at 10:42 AM on Jun. 4, 2010

• That is so sad. My family is not like that. I come from a huge family that LOVE each other. I mean I know people who don't talk to there cousins and I hang out and call them all the time. I just don't know how he does it. my husband talks to his mom most of all but he even goes weeks of not more not talking to his sister. MY goodness I can not go a day not talking to my brother but he does live in the same town as I do. Its just so strange
    Savymom25

Answer by Savymom25 at 10:46 AM on Jun. 4, 2010