Is 2 1/2 old enough to be a ring bearer?

When we get married our son will be 2 1/2. I think we should have my will be 6 year old nephew be the ring bearer but SO thinks it should be our son. I am just worried that is way to young to expect him to cooperate. What do you think?

jenae_gist

Asked by jenae_gist at 11:07 AM on Jun. 4, 2010 in Just for Fun

• Congratulations on your wedding! Great question. I can understand why SO would want to have his own son in the wedding 0 how sweet! I also understand your reservations - this is a very important event!

More important than age is personality/maturity. Will he be able to walk down the aisle and carry the rings to the altar? Ask yourself questions like: Is he too shy? Will he get distracted? Will he get upset with everyone looking at him? Will he act silly? That's what will tell you if he is "old enough." I know some six-year-olds who aren't, and I know some 2-year-olds who are! It depends on the individual child.

Also, since this is YOUR SON, you will need to add "while mommy is busy doing her own thing" to the end of all those questions - he won't have you all to himself on your wedding day, I bet!
    FelipesMom

Answer by FelipesMom at 11:20 AM on Jun. 4, 2010

• our ring bearer and flower girl were about that age
    peanutsmommy1

Answer by peanutsmommy1 at 11:08 AM on Jun. 4, 2010

• First of all thank you! I am exited!! The thing is it's a year away and it's so hard to tell what he'll be like then. But if I am gonna chose my nephew I want to give my brother and SIL this info somewhat far in advance.
    jenae_gist

Answer by jenae_gist at 11:23 AM on Jun. 4, 2010

• *excited
    jenae_gist

• i speak from experience ...i say not to a ring bearer that young. my brother had his wedding in january and my son then 2 1/2 was the ring bearer and my girl 5 was the flower girl. my DD did good. but my son didnt wasnt to take a nap that afternoon b4 the wedding (too much going on around him, and us being in a hotel didnt help) but anyways....he had a melt down from the time we arrived at the wedding location...(we were early) all the way through the service. it was time for us to start and i had to tell them to go out there with out me and my son. we stayed in the dressing room while he threw his fit. he got quiet long enough for me to peek through the chapel door to see my bro and now wife exchange vows. i was almost in tears because of this. i drove 3 1/2 hours to see him get married and only got to see part of it through a crack in the door. i wouldnt do it. that is my exp. & never again!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:31 AM on Jun. 4, 2010

• you could have both your nephew and your son planned as ring bearers and if your son melts down then you still have a ring bearer in place. and plus a 2 1/2 year old would do better not walking down the isle alone. (anon 31 here)
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:35 AM on Jun. 4, 2010

• At my first wedding we have my two youngest nephews (at the time) be our ring bearers. They were 3 and did GREAT. My step-cousin was the flower girl, she was 4 and did great.
    palexander

Answer by palexander at 12:48 AM on Jun. 5, 2010