• In the Spotlight:

Will the dr do it this young?

I am 22, will be 23 when my baby is born. I have 2 kids of my own now and my Dh has 3. We are done. I've been told the dr won't tie my tubes this early in my life, is that true???

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:21 AM on Jun. 4, 2010 in Pregnancy

• I think it depends on how many kids you have and if your married, things like that...ask your doctor.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:22 AM on Jun. 4, 2010

• Depends on the doctor, but most I have been to say 25years old or/and 3 children.
    carmadsmom

Answer by carmadsmom at 11:23 AM on Jun. 4, 2010

• in NE it is 21
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:23 AM on Jun. 4, 2010

• do your research about PTLS, I am 25 (had a tubal @ 22) and am experiencing perimenopause like symptoms.

If I had known then, what I know now, I never would have had it done. He needs to get snipped.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 11:24 AM on Jun. 4, 2010

• It depends on your doctor. Many of the doctors here require that you have at least 3 children and be at least 27 years of age but you'll have to see what your doctor requires of his patients.

ANd make sure it's REALLY what you want, hun, because every single person I know who's had their tubes tied has REGRETTED IT more than anything.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:26 AM on Jun. 4, 2010

• I agree every woman I know who has done it has regretted it. They have those reservations about it for a reason. You never know if you'll decide 5 plus years down the road you want another baby. Even if the thought seems crazy right now. There are too many other forms of birth control out there to do something that drastic. JMO. Have you considered an IUD?
    jenae_gist

Answer by jenae_gist at 11:29 AM on Jun. 4, 2010

• When I was pregnant (7 years ago), there was not an age limit here in TX. MOST doctors wouldn't do it until the woman had at least 2 kids. But, I suggest just asking your doctor if they will do it. I honestly don't see why they wouldn't, considering how many children you have betweent he two of you.
    momofamonkey83

Answer by momofamonkey83 at 11:29 AM on Jun. 4, 2010

• I'm 22 and I'm getting it done after my baby is born. But this is my fourth baby.
    MJ_BN_FE

Answer by MJ_BN_FE at 11:31 AM on Jun. 4, 2010

• It really depends on the doctor and the local rules. My dad told me about a couple he knew. Both had come from large families and neither wanted ANY kids. Because of their age, they weren't allowed any sort of permanant b/c. In their first year of marriage, she got pg w/3. They still wouldn't do anything bc of age and she got pg again w/3. Again, bc of age the dr's wouldn't do anything. It wasn't until after 3rd pg, aslo w/3, that the dr's tied her tubes. So a couple that didn't want any kids to begin with wound up with 9 bc the dr's deemed them too young to know what they want.

I also have a friend who tried to get the coppor IUD that's good for 10 years after she gave birth to her daughter, but they wouldn't give it to her. She was only 20 and she might change her mind and get it removed.
    ncbirdie

Answer by ncbirdie at 11:34 AM on Jun. 4, 2010

• I think it depends on the doctor. Where we used to live, they normally wouldn't do it until age 30, but my husband had his vasectomy right when he turned 26, the day after our second baby was born.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 11:34 AM on Jun. 4, 2010