5 year old with leg pain and fever

My nephew has had a fever since Tuesday. That in itself is NOT unusual. He is constantly sick. But he woke up this morning screaming that his legs hurt when he tries to stand and walk. My sister said it seems to be his thighs and calves. she took him to the ER and they ran bloodwork. I am not sure WHAT they checked for but after it came back they told her the bloodwork is fine and to keep an eye on him for 24-48 hours and to bring him back if it is worse or he shows no improvement.
Anybody have some thoughts? I don't even think they told her what they were looking for in the bloodwork.

SoniaL

Asked by SoniaL at 11:22 AM on Jun. 4, 2010 in Health

• My cousin had a staph infection with those symptoms. Watch him very closely!
    MomToBeISaMom

Answer by MomToBeISaMom at 11:23 AM on Jun. 4, 2010

• if the fever is not a concern, my first thought about the leg pains would be 'growing pains'. Both my kids went thru this, during growth spurts.
    inkydorei

Answer by inkydorei at 11:24 AM on Jun. 4, 2010

• Well, i just asked my sister and the bloodwork they did was to check for an infection and to check "bloodcounts", whatever that means. Good news is no infection came up. I have been researching a bit and Vitamin D deficiency can cause leg pain. it actually seems to be a common issue. My sister was just diagnosed with severe vit d deficiency about a month ago. I would not be at all surprised if her kids have it too (they do not go outside hardly ever). I asked if the tests checked for vit D and iron and she just said (well, we are texting) "infection and blood count"
    SoniaL

Answer by SoniaL at 11:38 AM on Jun. 4, 2010