Which sling/baby carier is the best?

Which baby carier/sling is the best for carrying a newborn that wants to be held all the time. I would also like to nurse with the baby in it without anyone seeing. Is there anything out there like that?

karina400

Asked by karina400 at 11:35 AM on Jun. 4, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I tried Bjorn and the walmart and babies r us brands but ended up with a Moby Wrap. It was more comfortable, spread the weight so well that I couldn't tell I was wearing her and was more versitile.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 11:40 AM on Jun. 4, 2010

• I want a Moby wrap, it looks awesome for that purpose.

BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 11:40 AM on Jun. 4, 2010

• So you can nurse without suffocating the baby and nobody can see?
    karina400

Answer by karina400 at 11:46 AM on Jun. 4, 2010

• It depends on the size of your breasts. I am a natural 34FF so when I was engorged, I couldn't nurse in the wrap but for smaller chests, you can.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 11:53 AM on Jun. 4, 2010

• There are no safety guidelines or standards for slings and carriers. I want one, but they make me too nervous.
    acurran88

Answer by acurran88 at 1:59 PM on Jun. 4, 2010

• There ARE safety guidelines...its called: how to use a sling or wrap properly. avoid those horrid bag slings like the infantino. Which one is best depends on your needs. The most forgiving for beginners is the Moby. It is stretchy though and I find that after 15lbs or so it needs adjusting as it is worn (not a big deal). I used the moby a lot. When my baby got bigger I found that a non stretchy wrap was better expecially for a back carry. I use a mei tai for a quick easy back, front or side carry especially if I know my baby is likely to fall asleep while I'm doing light housework. If I'm doing more vigorous chores where I'm doing a lot of bending I go for my non-stretchy wrap, but a ring sling would work nicely too. For a really really fast easy on easy off I use a sarong for a kanga back carry.

amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 2:43 PM on Jun. 4, 2010

• See here: http://www.cafemom.com/journals/read/1582037/Babywearing_Traditional_Styles

By the way, don't worry so much about other people.    Those other people have a neck.  They can turn their head.    You'd be better off getting a nursing bra and a nursing shirt so that you can be comfortable, but you don't necessary need to use your sling/wrap like a shield.      Especially this time of the year, it is so hot.    Unless someone is being a busybody or has their face in your space they shouldn't see anything.

amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 2:45 PM on Jun. 4, 2010

• One more thing, if you do nurse in a sling/wrap (I've done it) be attentive. You can't just latch on the baby and that's that. Just like with ANY nursing session, you may need to hold your breast and support the baby's head keeping the nose unblocked. Once the baby has finished nursing they should be repositioned properly. You should be able to see the baby's face at all times.
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 2:50 PM on Jun. 4, 2010

• For nursing a newborn discreetly, I'd say get a ring sling. I personally prefer pouches for convenience purposes, but a ring sling gives you something to cover baby with while nursing. I just don't cover, I don't care what other people think.

Different slings work good for different purposes, though... my son lived in the pouch for 6 months and then we started using the ergo and now (at 14 mo) we're about 50/50. Pouch for short trips (I have three kids with me most days, so I put him in the pouch just to even walk from my car to a store or w/e), ergo if he will be in there more than 10 minutes.

I used a non-stretchy wrap when my first son was about 2... but don't like wraps at all this time. Just too much fabric to carry around for me.

LeanneC

Answer by LeanneC at 3:52 PM on Jun. 4, 2010

• Well, I meant there are no federal standards, the consumer safety commission doesn't overview it.
    acurran88

Answer by acurran88 at 4:22 PM on Jun. 4, 2010