what do you think of a traditrional wedding with a non traditional reception?

i have found where i want to have my wedding it is beautiful and is lake side. the wedding itself will be traditional semi formal. (well i will be formal) but i dont want a boring sit down toast to the bride and groom kinda reception i want a fun one....so i thought since the chapel is lake side after the wedding we could all go tot he lake and have a big bbq....and have music for dancing of coarse. (im talking ribs and steaks and then ask fam members to bring the side dishes) do you think this is tacky? i think it sounds much more fun that a formal reception. and the kids would enjoy it too!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:41 AM on Jun. 4, 2010 in Just for Fun

• I went to a wedding like that and it was GREAT.... the invite said "feel free to bring a casual change of clothes for the reception" There was volleyball, horseshoes and lots of other things. People had WAY more fun because it wasn't all stuffy
    peanutsmommy1

Answer by peanutsmommy1 at 11:47 AM on Jun. 4, 2010

• oh, but yes, it is tacky IMO to ask your family to bring food to the reception, that should be provided
    peanutsmommy1

• Sounds like a reception I would want to go to! Just make sure your guests know ahead of time :o)
    Mommy_0f_many

Answer by Mommy_0f_many at 11:47 AM on Jun. 4, 2010

• I love the BBQ idea... it's your wedding do it the way you want or you won't be happy. I had a huge wedding for my first marriage planned by my mom...  it wasn't me at all it was all her I was young and didn't stand up for myself and the things I wanted. I'm on my 2nd marriage now and we got married before my husband was deployed at the court house. So we are planning a renwal and doing a elegant BBQ with checkered table clothes and fine china and hay bales was my vision.

Have Fun planning!!!

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:50 AM on Jun. 4, 2010

• I say, it's your wedding - you get to do whatever you want... No one else has to like it - it's YOUR day!

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 11:54 AM on Jun. 4, 2010

• The only thing I find tacky is having family or anyone else for that matter bring a dish.

Christine0813

Answer by Christine0813 at 11:55 AM on Jun. 4, 2010

• "oh, but yes, it is tacky IMO to ask your family to bring food to the reception, that should be provided "

yeah but my fam are the down home cookin kind of family. and i could ask them to bring a dish instead of a gift....
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:56 AM on Jun. 4, 2010

• I agree, the only problem is having people bring a dish. Weddings shouldn't be potluck, the food should be provided.
    ohwrite

Answer by ohwrite at 11:57 AM on Jun. 4, 2010

• well if it is agoing to be a bbq it would be like potatoe salad and side of that nature...jsut like a regular bbq....i would ask my family to bring to a regular bbq why not this one too?
    sweetestkitten

Answer by sweetestkitten at 11:58 AM on Jun. 4, 2010

• i know but it isnt a traditional reception. so ia md kinda already throwing out the rule book of what is "supposed" to happen.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:59 AM on Jun. 4, 2010