Did you pay for your bridesmaid's dresses/Groomsmen tux rentals?

Is it expected? Is it rude to have them pay for their own?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:50 AM on Jun. 4, 2010 in Just for Fun

• Well every wedding me or my husband have been in we have had to pay for our own dresses or tux's, but it has always been a bit of a burden on us, and makes you not really sure if you want to do it, but thats just because we dont have really any extra money so its hard for us. Its up to you, I think most people have the bridesmaids and groomsmen pay for their own these days.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:52 AM on Jun. 4, 2010

• No they paid for their own and the 4 times I was a bridesmaid I paid also.

Mom2princessq

Answer by Mom2princessq at 11:52 AM on Jun. 4, 2010

• All the weddings I been to, or heard about, they paid for their own. Just make it reasonable so they can afford it. No, it's not rude.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:53 AM on Jun. 4, 2010

• Hell no. They are responsible for the cost of their outfit.

Trained Wedding Planner speaking here - it's their job. Don't let them guilt you in to paying!

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 11:53 AM on Jun. 4, 2010

• They paid for their own however I was mindful of prices when I was shopping for bridesmaid dresses! Just keep the accessories to a minimum please :o)
    Mommy_0f_many

Answer by Mommy_0f_many at 11:53 AM on Jun. 4, 2010

• No, generally the bridesmaids and groomsmen know that when they agree to be in a wedding, part of the expense is their clothing. This is from the website The Knot:

Bridesmaid Dresses: Who Pays for Them?
    Q.

Do bridesmaids have to pay for their own dresses?

A.

Bridesmaids are generally expected to pay for their own wedding-day ensemble (shoes and jewelry included). If you're a maid and you think the cost is going to be an issue, voice your concerns to the bride. Hopefully she'll choose a dress that's reasonably priced, or consider letting you choose your own. She may give you some color/style requirements (e.g., black and ankle-length), and then each of you would choose something that suits your standards. That way, you decide how much to spend. If your financial situation is truly traumatizing you, just be upfront with the bride about what you can and cannot afford. Everyone has to be flexible.
    ohwrite

Answer by ohwrite at 11:54 AM on Jun. 4, 2010

• For my wedding, we paid for the bridesmaids dresses and groomsmen tuxes. but for every wedding Ive ever been in , I had to pay for my own dress.
    mommyBrooke849

Answer by mommyBrooke849 at 11:58 AM on Jun. 4, 2010

• Everyone always pays for their own dresses and tuxes. You couldn't possibly afford to outfit the whole wedding party. If they can't afford it, that's tough. It is not your problem.
    gertie41

Answer by gertie41 at 12:02 PM on Jun. 4, 2010

• Back in the day you were supposed to, but now I think it's standard practice to have them pay for it. My sisters were the bridesmaids so my mom bought their dresses, I didn't have any friends in it. Usually when you accept an invitation to be in a wedding, you accept that you have to pay the cost.
    danielp

Answer by danielp at 12:13 PM on Jun. 4, 2010

• NOPE. My bridal party paid. I have never heard of the bride and groom paying for that stuff.
    KairisMama

Answer by KairisMama at 12:30 PM on Jun. 4, 2010