The "What to Expect" books.

The people who said those books are terrible. Can you please explain your reasoning on that???????

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:03 PM on Jun. 4, 2010 in About CafeMom

• I was gonna ask this same question.
    I read the first one 15 years ago...I don'[t remember anything about it, so, I can't answer.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 12:05 PM on Jun. 4, 2010

• To some they are scary because they talk about all the worst-case scenarios. Most of those things will never happen, but I didn't think they were scary at the time. Now I understand because things like nipple confusion and mastis really only happen rarely.
    danielp

Answer by danielp at 12:06 PM on Jun. 4, 2010

• i dont know. i loved the pregnancy one. and my sister had the first year one and it was like her bible.
    Anonymous

• They helped me out a lot. I had 3. What to Expect When You're Expecting, The First Year and The Toddler Years. I often referred to them. Most of the time it set my mind at ease. I have no idea why people here are so against them.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 12:08 PM on Jun. 4, 2010

• They are unrealistic. Do not focus on the small, every day issues, only the worst case. They are "cookie cutter" books, designed to provide the information in such a way to lead one to believe that unless they experience A,B,C, that something is wrong, etc.

Hands down, worst series I have ever read.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 12:15 PM on Jun. 4, 2010

• They were a waste of money.
    Anonymous

• I think they are too focused on the worst case scenarios too. Every pregnancy is different and they don't really explain that. They kind of tell you what will happen during labor and what procedures the hospital will do, but they don't present labor and birth as a natural thing where women should have a say in how they are treated. They seem to be telling you how to be a good patient. It just rubbed me the wrong way. I had a book called Pregnancy Week by Week, and the first time around, I thought it was better than the What to Expect book. When I read through it during my second pregnancy, I realized it isn't really much better. I liked how it showed the growth and development of the baby, but as far as the procedures and stuff, it wasn't super helpful for the natural birth I wanted. We liked Natural Childbirth the Bradley Way (I think that's the title) and Good Birth, Safe Birth better.
    raybird1031

Answer by raybird1031 at 12:26 PM on Jun. 4, 2010

• I have heard it called "What to expect if you want to be a raving paranoid mess" LOL
    Here is a quote from What to Expect the first year that I find completely off base:
    If your child cries at night to be fed and you feed him, or if he cries because he wants to be held, and you pick him up, then he learns a tricky lesson: Cry and I'll get what I want. But by six months, rest assured he needs neither a nighttime snack nor a cuddle; he's just getting away with that because he can. If your child has become a "trained night feeder" remember this: Healthy full-term babies are capable of fasting for up to 12 hours at night by six months of age (provided they get enough to eat during the day).
    It is telling you that you by no means should be nursing your baby during the night if they are 6 months or more. WHAT? My hungry 6 month old isn't actually hungry she is manipulating me? my 6 month old??
    Stupid book!
    SoniaL

Answer by SoniaL at 12:34 PM on Jun. 4, 2010

• I bought the pregnancy one and received the first year one as a gift. I found a little useful information in each, but very little. I didn't read either from cover to cover. I used the pregnancy one as a "bathroom book" since I spent so much time there while pregnant. I'd read the parts that interested me or that seemed to apply, but it didn't really answer most of my questions. WIth the first year one I used the section regarding fevers, rashes, and common childhood illnesses, and I occaissionally checked the month by month list of things baby was likely to be doing to see if my little one seemed to be hitting milestones appropriately. I didn't find them horrible, but I did think they were basically over-rated.
    Anonymous

• I never bought the first year one because a friend of mine had it and was always quoting dumb advice from it, like not feeding a baby during the night and not cosleeping. It wouldn't have worked for us. We left our first pediatrician in part because she gave dumb advice like that. My dd was very small and nursed every 2 hours during the day, so why would I starve her and leave her to cry during the night? That lady must have never had her own kids and just memorized stupid parenting books.
    Anonymous