How do you feel about polyamorous households and parenting?

How would you feel about a polyamorous household or learning that someone you knew was in one? For example, a non-nuclear family structure where there are two dads and one mom. Do you feel like it would damage the child, or does having more loving parents make it a better environment for the kid?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:23 PM on Jun. 4, 2010 in General Parenting

• I see them as a wonderful way of life. If it were up to me we would fit in to that category. I don't believe that any two people can fill all the needs of each other. There will always be differences of opinions, things one partner doesn't like or can't do... In families with more than one partner you cut down on that alot. Children learn that love isn't limited and doesn't need to be. Plus, it provides children with more parents - so many parents today are working and not home to be with their kids. This set up allows children to have someone available more, their needs are filled more quickly and efficiently as well as they always have someone to mediate when there are larger issues or disagreements. Over all I feels it's a blessing to grow up like that and more of one to understand it.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 4:30 PM on Jun. 4, 2010

• It goes against my beliefs. I think it can be emotionally damaging to the people involved in the relationship as well.
    SoniaL

Answer by SoniaL at 12:24 PM on Jun. 4, 2010

• Sonia, what if all of the people involved WANT to be in the relationship and it makes them happy?
    Anonymous

• If everyone wants it and is truly happy then I suppose THEY are fine. I just can't get my brain around the idea that there is no deep down jealousy or resentment at some point. It still isn't something I find ok but that is just my opinion. :)
    SoniaL

Answer by SoniaL at 12:47 PM on Jun. 4, 2010

• When I was growing up, I had several sets of parents. No, my parents were not in a polyamorous relationship. But they had several close friends, who had children around my same age, and they all acted as parents to all the kids. I even called most of them mom and dad, versus Mr. and Mrs. so and so. It was great knowing that there were so many people in this world who loved me, and were willing to take care of me. So long as everyone in the relationship is happy and healthy, what damage can it cause?
    my2.5boys

Answer by my2.5boys at 1:01 PM on Jun. 4, 2010

• Honestly, I think it's a great idea. It would be great to be able to share all of the responsibilities of being in and raising a family. Shared responsibility for children, for household chores, for income, for everything - awesome!
    Anonymous

• That is a sin! My children would not be allowed to experience that! ThaThat is cult like, and disturbing! Even the mormons have done away with that!
    JoLee12345

Answer by JoLee12345 at 2:30 PM on Jun. 4, 2010

• I like the idea for adults but I wouldn't do it if children were involved. I do think it might be confusing to them but I'm no expert. I turned down a situation like that a few years back because of the couple's children. I didn't want to get in that situation and possibly cause confusion to them

Answer by admckenzie at 2:59 PM on Jun. 4, 2010

• I think they are some sick freaks of nature and shouldn't have kids in that house.
    Anonymous

• As long as the children are loved I think they will gow up ok. The only problem I can see is that the people who think it is wrong will make the children feel like there is somehing wron and the children in that household may get picked on.
    MooNFaeRie30

Answer by MooNFaeRie30 at 5:57 PM on Jun. 4, 2010