Unique ways to teach ABCs

What special way did you find to teach your child their ABCs? how old were they when you first started?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:30 PM on Jun. 4, 2010 in Just for Fun

• She got to remember the alphabet just by singing it. We are working on letter recognition and sound now a days. I use starfall.com, leap frog talking alphabet letters, flash cards, and just simply pointing out letters when we are out and about. I also point out letters and sounds when reading bedtime stories to her.

KairisMama

Answer by KairisMama at 12:32 PM on Jun. 4, 2010

• We started singing the alpahabet and other little songs in the car when they were babies to calm them down, then we got those foam letters that stick on the bathtub walls, and different little baby puzzles that have letters and numbers. Now they are 2 and 4 and we play the alphabet game in the car, where we point out letters we see. Sometimes I give them magazines or newspapers to cut out letters and then glue the whole alphabet together on a piece of construction paper. We also have letter & number cookie cutters to use with playdough.
    raybird1031

Answer by raybird1031 at 12:33 PM on Jun. 4, 2010

• Wow, even a topic as benign as teaching the ABCs can elicit a snarky comment (anon12:32)! Unbelievable! lol
    FelipesMom

Answer by FelipesMom at 12:35 PM on Jun. 4, 2010

• ...besides, anything that's been done the same way for a hundred years MUST be right lol! No WAY anyone could have thought of a better way! Haha!
    FelipesMom

Answer by FelipesMom at 12:36 PM on Jun. 4, 2010

• Unique? No. We SANG the ABC's ... same way it's been taught for the past hundred yrs and the same way they teach it on Sesame Street.

ok just because you kid can sing the alphabet doesn't mean they know the letters. My kid can sing the song but she doesn't know V from F. I go on starfall to teach her recognition and I bought her the leap frog letter pad to help with writing them
    symle456

Answer by symle456 at 12:39 PM on Jun. 4, 2010

• Im currently teaching my daughter her ABC's she knows most of them but still has trouble remembering all of them at once, but we just sing the song, and I show her videos on youtube of other kids singing theirs (She loves seeing other kids do what she does) lol
    mommyBrooke849

Answer by mommyBrooke849 at 12:39 PM on Jun. 4, 2010

• Singing the ABC song was the first step (before two years), but then we moved on to actually recognizing the shape of individual letters (also before two years). We made up our own sayings with hand motions such as Airplane - A with hands flying up in the shape of an A; Bump, Bump - B with holding out left hand straight up and making two bump motions with the right hand; Curvy - C which we just drew up in the air... We made a game out of coming up with motions to match the letters. We also played "find the letter___" at the grocery store, where I had my toddler find something with whatever letter we decided to look for. We also drew letters on her drawing board (Magna Doodle type).
    Anonymous

• One of the things they should know before starting Kindergarten is the whole alphabet, without singing. When my SIL told me that her daughter missed points on a verbal test of the alphabet because she sang it, and because she added they "next time won't you sing with me" part, I decided to do different activities with my kids too so they wouldn't just be reciting the song, kwim?
    Anonymous

• Actually, you should try teaching her the letters by sight before singing the song. I cut out construction paper shapes for each letter and put it on the wall. Like a red apple with an A and the word apple, Baseball, Crayon,etc...

I also took a letter, color and number and made an art project. Like I had him make a red thumb print. I added eyes and legs and Wrote 1 RED ANT. The next time it was 2 YELLOW BEES, 3 BLUE CATERPILLARS...so on. I also had flashcards and would hold up A and say A while making the sign for A.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 12:49 PM on Jun. 4, 2010

• ha, love how people are just looking for a way to bring others down by being a b****... if we did things the same as we did 100 years ago the life expectancy wouldn't be what it is today, and kids would still be hopping around cars with no carseats and drinking caro syrup for constipation... moving on, lol...

My son is 10 months and he LOVES it when i sing him the ABC's, as soon as I start he just giggles!! We also have the foam letters, right now he's more interested in chewing them, and that's alright. I think reading is such an important thing for infants/toddlers.. and kids really. one of my fondest memories of childhood was my parents taking me to the library, and i can't wait to share that with my little ones.

GL mama!
    1st_time_mom23

Answer by 1st_time_mom23 at 12:49 PM on Jun. 4, 2010