Did you opt out of preschool?

DD is now 3 and some are asking if I plan on putting her in it. She goes to daycare and I work with her. Her vocabulary and speech surprises many people and she catches onto things quickly. did you decided to not send your child and for what reasons if you did?

Jademom07

Asked by Jademom07 at 12:33 PM on Jun. 4, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• WE ARE NOT BECAUSE SHE DOESN'T HAVE TO OR NEED TO ....MY DD ALREADY KNOWS HOW TO ADD (NOT BRAGGING JUST STATING) AMONG OTHER THINGS ...I THINK SHE WILL BE VERY BORED AND WHY PAY FOR ANOTHER YEAR OF SCHOOL IF YOU DONT HAVE TO !
    Anonymous

• I MEANT WE ARE NOT SENDING HER !
    Anonymous

• TWo of my kids went to preschool because they were very shy and I hoped that being in a group of children would help them be more ougoing and make friends . My son didn't go because he was already a friendly kid and knew his numbers,letters and could print well before he was 5. Personally, I think preschool is a need for some but not for all kids.
    gertie41

Answer by gertie41 at 12:50 PM on Jun. 4, 2010

• I think it works for some but isn't needed. We are skipping preschool (my kids are 13, 6, 3 1/2 and 13 months). I don't see the point in paying for something that isn't needed. I have confidence in their abilities to handle kindergarten.
    SoniaL

Answer by SoniaL at 12:51 PM on Jun. 4, 2010

• If you were staying at home with her, then I'd say not to worry about preschool, but if she goes to daycare any way why not send her to preschool instead?
    ThrivingMom

Answer by ThrivingMom at 12:57 PM on Jun. 4, 2010

• ThrivingMom: I have to pay for preschool and daycare since preschool isn't full day and I don't get a discount for her not being in daycare the whole day so I'm paying full price for both even when she splits her time between the 2
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 1:08 PM on Jun. 4, 2010

• Kiwi went to an all day state funded preschool. She got on the bus at 8:30 and got off at 3:45. She wanted to go to school and she learned a lot. I don't know that we would have sent her if we'd had to pay for it mainly because we couldn't afford it. Which I guess is kind of obvious by the fact we met the income requirements for her to go to the state funded one.
    She loved the 2 years she was there though and the teachers were great.
    Kiwismommy19

Answer by Kiwismommy19 at 2:14 PM on Jun. 4, 2010

• "so I'm paying full price for both even when she splits her time between the 2 "

Well that really stinks. What about preschool and then hiring an at home daycare provider to pick her up and keep her in the afternoon?
    ThrivingMom

Answer by ThrivingMom at 2:58 PM on Jun. 4, 2010

• I'm trying to find a preschool here that's 5 days a week. She was going to one two days a week and I had to pay full price there and then full price when she started having to go to daycare in December (she had started at the school before daycare).

My biggest issue so far is the state run one that she is zoned for is far from her current daycare and any family members of ours so I would also have to find another daycare or something after she gets out because I work till 5pm.
    unknwndreamer

Answer by unknwndreamer at 3:25 PM on Jun. 4, 2010

• I don't see a point in sending 3 year olds to preschool. We did send our youngest at 3 only because she begged to go. It was just twice a week for 2 hours each day. She had a blast and learned a lot (she can write her name, her brother and sisters' names, knows her ABCs by site and can write all the letters capital and lower case, can count, etc). She just turned 4 in April. She won't go to preschool this next year. I'll just have her practice the skills she learned last year.

My son never went to preschool at all because we were living in a different city and couldn't afford it. There was no public/cheap option, only private schools which were $5000 a year for 1 child (I paid $185 for the entire year for my daughter last year). He just finished 2nd grade with all Bs and As. He hasn't really suffered from not going to preschool.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 4:39 PM on Jun. 4, 2010