when do i need to be concerned about my 5 month old not pooping?

she was a really regular baby until recently and is now going 3-5 days between poops. she's breastfed, no solids.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:44 PM on Jun. 4, 2010 in Just for Fun

• if she's still 100% on breastmilk only, then it could be a week or even 10 days. There shouldn't be a problem unless she is crying a lot and starts to vomit. My dd went over a week once while she was still exclusively bf, and out pediatrician just said, "Look out, because when she goes it will be a big one" She wasn't concerned at all and said it's totally normal.
    Once you start solids, it's a different story.
    Anonymous

• Since you BF I wouldn't worry unless your baby seems uncomfortable.
    Anonymous

• my daughter did the same thing, and still has problems. she is 20 months now. i have tryed everything. she is also BF. there is some little tiny fleet supositories that are for kids. talk to your doc first but i use them on here when she gets constipated. i also giver her mirilax ( doctor rx) and that seems to help once ina while. i know that toddlers tend to hold thier poo in as a control thing but babies i think just get off track. talk to your doctor. but BF babies do not poo as often. if you think your baby is uncomfortable.. then you might need to help them out. my daughter when she was a baby went for 3 weeks w/o pooping. and she did not want to bend her legs. she would cry when i put her in her car seat. after i did the suppository she went right away and it was ALOT! after taht she did not cry when i put her in her car seat. she was about 3 months old then. very scary. i am sorry, i know how you feel!!
    Preggydyke

Answer by Preggydyke at 1:32 PM on Jun. 4, 2010