Potty Training gone HAYWIRE!!!

I don't get it!

My 2yr old keeps peeing and pooing on herself. Understand she has been trained on when to go and how to go to the potty since about 1yr. Seriously, every since her sister arrived this past Jan. she has completely reversed!! So I sorta retrained her. I took her to the potty every 30min. I rewarded her with stickers and lots of hugs, kisses and praise!

That was short lived, she now uses it on herself when I am not looking or around. But, she doesn't uses it on herself when were out (only at home). I recently started rewarding her with ice cream, suckers and popicilies. But this morning she done the same thing! Sat and peed on herself while watching Dora as if nothing happened. If I did not ask her to come to me I would not have known!

I DON'T KNOW what TO DO!!! I feel like I AM failing her....

novice2008

Asked by novice2008 at 12:49 PM on Jun. 4, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• A new baby flips a kids whole world upside down, and they either forget or start using potty issues to get your attention. She probably needs to have more 1-on-1 time with you, and maybe just give up for a while until she decides she wants to be a big girl again. It's a really common thing, and there is no way to win a potty battle, so don't get yourself or your dd too stressed out over it. Each of my kids took over a year to be fully potty trained, and for the 1st one, I had to just give in and have 2 kids in diapers for a while until she got used to the idea of being a big sister.
    Anonymous

• I don't think you're failing her at all. It's pretty common for kids to "forget" how to use the potty when a new baby arrives. Sounds more like a case of her being jealous of all the attention a newborn gets. Have you tried explaining to her that she's a big girl now and that that's something to be proud of?
    HotMama330

Answer by HotMama330 at 1:04 PM on Jun. 4, 2010

• Yep, jealousy and attention. My oldest is 21 months. When the baby started eating babyfood and the bibs came out, he wants one too now. And he wants a bottle when his brother has one in front of him. They need and want the attention too. And remember she is still young, it comes and goes. I wouldn't worry until she was in the 3s closer to age 4. Even then they are going to have accidents. Once things settle, she will move on to a new thing for attention.
    2BlondeBabies

Answer by 2BlondeBabies at 4:46 PM on Jun. 4, 2010

• Don't worry mama. This is exactly why my son isn't potty trained because almost every kid I know has done this when a sibling arrives. Give it time. I am due next month and I have given up for now. She will get to where she wants to go again because peeing in your pants isn't a good feeling. She is doing it for attention.
    nakoal87

Answer by nakoal87 at 5:26 PM on Jun. 4, 2010

• I was scared that was the case, this morning while DD was watching her she pooped on herself in the closet, changed clothes, and did it again later. When I got up she had poop all over her bathroom and herself. Guess Im going to have to start back at the basics. Should I do pullups or diapers? I've been using diapers only at bedtime...

bump
    novice2008

Answer by novice2008 at 3:54 PM on Jun. 5, 2010