what are some learning websites for my 5 year old trying to prepare her for kindergarden in the fall

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:52 PM on Jun. 4, 2010 in General Parenting

• MomOfDagJag is right about the letter factory DVD. My DD learned her entire alphabet by phonics and is nearly reading thanks to that DVD.

JoLee, that was rude. I'm a certified teacher and can tell you preschool isn't necessary. This mom can easily teach in one summer what she would have learned in a whole year of preschool.

OP, your child will be fine when the school year starts. You are an involved mom and are doing the right thing by looking into doing some home education this summer.

Also, get yourself 2 really good books, 1 for teaching letter and 1 for teaching numbers. Work on teaching the ABC with each of the phonic sounds and teaching counting with very basic math. Point out colors and shapes every chance you get in daily life. Your little one will do fine next fall.
    ThrivingMom

Answer by ThrivingMom at 2:37 PM on Jun. 4, 2010

• Do you happen to have an iPhone. If so, I can list a whole bunch of toddler education aps that my DD has learned a ton from.
    ThrivingMom

Answer by ThrivingMom at 12:54 PM on Jun. 4, 2010

• no sorry I don't....

Anonymous

• OP HERE
    I do know disney.com (but don't find that learning)
    I have starfall.com
    sesamestreet.com
    barney.com
    pbskids.org
    those are all I think I have
    Anonymous

• http://www.jumpstart.com/ here is another one
    jdmyangel

Answer by jdmyangel at 12:59 PM on Jun. 4, 2010

• Morgain

Answer by Morgain at 1:01 PM on Jun. 4, 2010

• i would go with starfall.com and also buy "the letter factory" DVD by leapfrog
    MomOfDagJag

Answer by MomOfDagJag at 1:05 PM on Jun. 4, 2010

• she should have went to pre-school!
    JoLee12345

Answer by JoLee12345 at 2:26 PM on Jun. 4, 2010

• she should have went to pre-school!

If you can't help me then don't reply. Maybe there are reasons she wasn't in preschool. Also my DD is a lot smart than most kids. She is very smart she can spell some 3 letter words she can recognize her first middle and last name. She can almost spell her first name she forgets one letter out of her name. She learned to tie her shoe and ride a bike with in 2 weeks from eachother she was 4 years old. She can say her alphabet and recognize the letters and if you point to them she can say what letter it is so she is very smart for not going to preschool. I was just simply looking for more things to get her ready for kindergarden. Not every kid needs preschool. She was potty tained at 19 months I am a SAHM so yes that was very rude of you to say that.
    Anonymous

• she also knows all her basic colors and nos all the basic shapes
    Anonymous