Being a mom is the toughest job in the world. Do you agree or disagree and why?

I always hear people say being a mom (not necessarily a SAHM, just a mom in general) is the toughest job in the world. Do you agree? Why or why not?

ThrivingMom

Asked by ThrivingMom at 12:52 PM on Jun. 4, 2010 in General Parenting

• Yes, I agree. Why? Because it literally never ends. This is a concept you don't understand until you're a mom. Every other job ends, eventuallly. When I get home from work, it's over. I no longer have a boss to answer to or students to deal with. On the other hand, being a mom is always, always your job, even when you're not with your kids. If you're not with them, you're thinking about them and worrying about them. If you are and God forbid, you're sick or tired, well, too bad! It is the hardest job in the world. I will imagine that I'll continue to worry even when she's no longer in my house.
    danielp

Answer by danielp at 12:55 PM on Jun. 4, 2010

• I agree... b/c there are so many variables... and an ever changing job description!! ;o)

Morgain

Answer by Morgain at 12:56 PM on Jun. 4, 2010

• It's the most important, but I'm sure there are jobs with higher levels of difficulty.
    lowencope

Answer by lowencope at 12:59 PM on Jun. 4, 2010

• I disagree, because I do not view it as a job to raise the child I chose to bring into this world. I look at it as a privilege.
    Anonymous

• yeah, there's no calling in sick when you're a parent! i agree it is the most difficult and challenging job. you don't get any training for it, and everyone does things different... and all babies/kids are different too, so there's no one way to do anything!

being a parent is definately the most difficult thing i have ever done, but it is also the most rewarding thing too. i wouldnt ever trade those first few weeks... when you can't sleep because you want to watch the baby breathe, lol... or his first cold... because with all that comes the smiles and hugs and kisses and i love you's... it's the best feeling in the world to be a mommy, and it's the best thing i will ever do!
    1st_time_mom23

Answer by 1st_time_mom23 at 1:01 PM on Jun. 4, 2010

• I Totally Agree!! I worked full time for many many years and waited to have children and this is THE Hardest Most Exhausting But Most Rewarding Job in the World. You are on call 24/7!
    ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 1:04 PM on Jun. 4, 2010

• It is definately very demanding, especially when you have a large family... But I love every minute of it!!! Being a sahm is what I have always wanted to do.
    SWEETPEAS3MOM

Answer by SWEETPEAS3MOM at 1:04 PM on Jun. 4, 2010

• Important does not equal difficult. There are much more difficult jobs out there than parenting.
    Anonymous

• I don't think 'toughest' is a good way to describe it, I mean, think about those king crab fisherman, they have a seriously tough job! lol... being a mom is tedious, monotonous, challenging, tiring, frustrating, joyous and extremely rewarding. Its tough, sure, but not the toughest by a long shot..... not the most tedious, not the most monotonous, not the most challenging and not the most tiring and not the most frustrating....again, all of those things, but lets be realistic here, kwim?  Let's not take ourselves so seriously, think about policemen, firemen, military, portajohn cleaners, lol, slaughter house workers....I could go on and tell that I'll take being a mom over those any day.

gramsmom

Answer by gramsmom at 1:05 PM on Jun. 4, 2010

• disagree, i don' t consider it a job, but if you do, believe me there are way more difficult jobs out there, try being a teacher with 25 children in the room and half of them with behavioral problems. Alsoif you consider being a mom a job, than to me it's probably the most enjoyable and easiest job.
    staceynoel

Answer by staceynoel at 1:10 PM on Jun. 4, 2010