Hand foot Mouth disease question...need answers please!

My son just got diagnosed with hand,foot,mouth disease today. He seems to be doing just fine. He is 2 years old. Is running a fever but keeping it down with tylenol and he is hydrated well. The doctor said just tylenol time and ice cream should do the trick. I am not too worried, but then I talked to a few other moms that live around us and found out about him having it and they said that it gets worse and miserable and he has to stay inside for 7 days and that his father and I are going to get it as well because it is soooo contagious, they said the rash he may get on his hands and feet if he gets it is going to itch really bad and that even as adults we are going to get it. They made it seem like a terrible terrible thing, and the doctor didn't so I am a little confused. Need some advice and such from people who have been through this. Thank you!!!

aidyns_mommy

Asked by aidyns_mommy at 1:02 PM on Jun. 4, 2010 in Health

• If you keep everything cleaned off, you won't get it. It can be bad and have blisters in his throat and hands and feet, but, I worked at a daycare and on kid had it. I worked in the baby room, we Lysol-ed and bleach-water cleaned everything all the time and only one kid got a little tiny breakout, that cleared quickly. Another room had more issues because they didn't clean as well. No adults ever got it.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 1:05 PM on Jun. 4, 2010

• My kids both had it and had very mild cases. Do what your pediatrician said and don't listen to anyone else. You probably won't get it. Just wash your hands well after touching your son. Your pediatrician would have told you if you were required to keep your child inside for 7 days. They do not lock kids up because they have Fifth's disease. It is very common and not dangerous.
    Marwill

Answer by Marwill at 1:05 PM on Jun. 4, 2010

• Yeah my son got it before. I don't think you will get it unless his blisters are open and you get it that way. I got huge blisters on my tongue when I got it.
    lowencope

Answer by lowencope at 1:06 PM on Jun. 4, 2010

• Chance are good that you've had it before as a kid anyway. Each of my kids have had it, and there's nothing you can really do to stop it - our dr said they are contagious even before they show a fever or any of the little blisters. It is Coksakie virus or something like that, a very contagious virus, but it usually isn't too serious. The tylenol and ice cream is pretty much the same advice we got for both our girls
    Anonymous

• Thanks for all the advice!
    aidyns_mommy

Answer by aidyns_mommy at 1:21 PM on Jun. 4, 2010

• What is the hand, foot, mouth disease? never heard of that befor.
    TulsaMommy

Answer by TulsaMommy at 2:15 PM on Jun. 4, 2010

• Its a contagious virus most common in infant/toddler age children. symptoms are a fever, and sores in the mouth,hands, feet usually either the mouth or hands and feet but can be all...its not serious from what ive heard just bothersum.
    aidyns_mommy

Answer by aidyns_mommy at 3:09 PM on Jun. 4, 2010

• How do they get it?
    mamaofficer

Answer by mamaofficer at 3:40 PM on Jun. 4, 2010

• Not sure exactly. I think like any other virus just from someone else...
    aidyns_mommy

Answer by aidyns_mommy at 4:12 PM on Jun. 4, 2010

• Both of my kids have it right now :( I hope it doesn't last long. The 5 year old has had it for 2 days now and the 2 year old has only had it for 1 day so far.
    MommyH2

Answer by MommyH2 at 12:52 AM on Jun. 28, 2010