What ever happened to Carla Moquin

She was the one who had the people magazine article written about her because she was trying to say that she should get the child she placed for adoption back because they didnt keep the adoption open enough?

Her website is shut down and I was curious to hear what ever happened

2ndtimewish

Asked by 2ndtimewish at 1:13 PM on Jun. 4, 2010 in Adoption

• she did have her trial, and lost.... the last i heard like a month ago or so... is that she was appealing
    mnmommy1

Answer by mnmommy1 at 8:57 PM on Jun. 4, 2010

• Open adoption is not coparenting. I hope she didn't get her child back.
    Anonymous

• "Open adoption is not coparenting. I hope she didn't get her child back. "

That's why it should be made very clear to expectant mothers that if they relinquish their rights there is a chance that their wishes will be disregarded and that they may not ever see their child again because open adoption agreements are for the most part not legally binding.
    miriamz

Answer by miriamz at 2:37 PM on Jun. 4, 2010

• good question. I wonder why her website is gone. I wonder if it was a legal thing.
    onethentwins

Answer by onethentwins at 4:27 PM on Jun. 4, 2010

"That's why it should be made very clear to expectant mothers that if they relinquish their rights there is a chance that their wishes will be disregarded and that they may not ever see their child again because open adoption agreements are for the most part not legally binding"

I agree with both of these. I think it should be made more clear to expectant parents but I also think an adoption is an adoption. You have to jump through hoops, spend gobbs of money, and all kinds of other stuff all because you desire so strongly to be a parent but are unable to do so naturally. You should not have to deal with visitation as if you are going through a divorce. These people need to be able to get on with and enjoy their lives with their new child.

BUT OA agreements should be upheld by the AP. I do not think it should be a legal contract though.
    Anonymous

• I am not sure why her website is down, im her facebook friend I should see how she is doing. :)
    mnmommy1

Answer by mnmommy1 at 5:33 PM on Jun. 4, 2010

• Dec. 2009 is the last I could find anything on her plight. She stated in AUG 2009 she was almost out of money to fight, and she would need another $60,000 to continue. My guess is she has no more funds. I do feel this is a sad sad, journey for Carla, but more so for Peri. In adotpion, MOST times the one whom is damaged the most is the child:( I do think it should be a Legal and binding document, recognized in all jurisdictions, MHO, Blessings, CJ
    ceejay1

Answer by ceejay1 at 7:17 PM on Jun. 4, 2010

• Whether you are/were on her side on not, she brought some much needed national focus on open adoption and how so many of the processes still need regulating.
    2ndtimewish

Answer by 2ndtimewish at 8:36 PM on Jun. 4, 2010

• Quote "Whether you are/were on her side on not, she brought some much needed national focus on open adoption and how so many of the processes still need regulating."

Very true.

onethentwins

Answer by onethentwins at 9:04 PM on Jun. 4, 2010

• Her story makes me sad. She said that she would not have contested the adoption even after they cut off contact because she believed it would uproot her daughter, but then she learned of many ways in which they decieved her and suddenly worried for her daughter being raised by such conniving people. BTW, they didn't go through a long and hard adoption journey, they stated that they never planned on having kids because they valued their careers more and then went through the process very quickly and didn't really struggle. I believe she was pressured and decieved, by the adoptive couple and by her ex-husband. I feel very sad for her and think she must have been very-deluded by various pressures at that time in her life. There is no evidence that she sought co-parenting, but simply the updates and contact she was promised. Adoptive parents shouldn't have to do that for bio parents, I agree, so they shouldn't promise it...
    Bellarose0212

Answer by Bellarose0212 at 12:31 AM on Jun. 5, 2010