Crib to toddler bed?

I changed my 13.5 month olds bed to a toddler bed yesterday. We used to and still cosleepwhen she wakes up at night to breastfeed, but it was becoming impossible to put her to bed at night. I breastfed her to sleep til 11 mon then found out I shouldn't be doing that and we went through a few months of hellish night time routines and tried to find something that worked. Another reason I stopped bf'ing to sleep is she would wake up when I tried to set her down in her crib and it was getting frustrating. I put pillows below her toddler bed and she seems to slide down fine with no problems. I am now brestfeeding her to sleep in her bed.

Is there anything wrong with this? I feel like I'm failing at motherhood, but being a stay at home mom with a husband that works and goes to school full time means I have no help. Also we live in a diff country so I have no family to help me.

We tried Ferber, back rubbing, and she just cries.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:50 PM on Jun. 4, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Oh, and when you say Ferber are you meaning what you've read on the internet as the Ferber method (which gets confused with CIO) or do you have the book, read it, and went by what he explains in his book?
    ThrivingMom

Answer by ThrivingMom at 2:30 PM on Jun. 4, 2010

• It is a habit that she's used to. Habits are hard to break, but you need consistency. Pick a routine and do it every night. Do not pick her up, do not breastfeed to sleep (if that's what you want) and stick with it. Changing her routine too many times is confusing.
    Anonymous

• You do what you feel you need to do. At that age, I feel that she is using you as a pacifier to go to sleep. (not against extended nursing). I would cry it out. Unless she is truely hungry she doesn't need to nurse to go to sleep. She needs to learn to self-soothe
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 1:55 PM on Jun. 4, 2010

• That's way too young for a toddler bed. My pediatrician recommends keeping them in a crib for their own safety as close to 3 years old as possible. He advises getting a crib tent if they start climbing out before 2.5 yr old.

I'm unclear by what you mean when you say nurse to sleep. You should be nursing before bedtime, just don't let her fall asleep on the breast. When she stops sucking and swallowing, you gently break the seal and lay her down in her crib groggy but still awake.

Ferber works. I have Ferbered 2 children. You just have to be consistant and stick with it. It took 7 days to Ferber my DD when she was 13 months.
    ThrivingMom

Answer by ThrivingMom at 2:29 PM on Jun. 4, 2010