constipated 3month old

my 3month old has not had bowl movement in 2 days, dr. told me to try pedilyte to get things moving but its not working. any suggestions?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:50 PM on Jun. 4, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Keep in mind that most formula fed babies only have a bowel movement every 4-5 days and breast fed will go longer. As long as you don't notice any lumps in the abdomen from a back up then I wouldn't worry.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 1:52 PM on Jun. 4, 2010

• Is the baby breastfed or formula fed?
    If they are breastfed and aren't getting any solids, they will eventually poop and be fine, so don't do anything.
    If baby is formula fed, it could actually be constipation, and you can maybe try an ounce or 2 of diluted prune juice. If you recently changed formulas or gave any other kid of supplement or food, switch back and see if it helps. When the baby is laying on their back, try working his legs like he's riding a bike and it might help get things moving.
    Anonymous

• ask your doc if you can give him juice, mine started at 4 months & it helped and still does and he's 2 now. also go to some place like wal-greens and in the baby aisle they have a few different things that might work. good luck
    OoShannonoO

Answer by OoShannonoO at 1:54 PM on Jun. 4, 2010

• 2 days of no poop is not a big deal. Pedialyte is not good for a 3 month old - especially if the kid just isn't pooping. No doctor in their right mind would recommend pedialyte for a 3month old who hasn't pooped in 2 days. If the baby is breastfed, eat foods that loosen you up. If the baby is formula fed, add in some probiotic to a bottle or two per day. But it's perfectly normal to go a few days between poops, and pedialyte isn't good at that age!
    Anonymous

• I know I'm going to get bashed for this but here it goes...
    My son's pediatrician said to give him a teaspoon of dark karo syrup for every two ounces. There is the risk of botulism depending on what source your read. But not enough for the AAP to stop recommending it. It's your decision, it's up to you to take that risk if you believe there is one. It worked for my son but it took a day or two. I'd call and ask to speak with the pediatrician's nurse and she will advise you what to do.

If your baby isn't in discomfort, I'd wait about two days to worry though.
    acurran88

Answer by acurran88 at 1:57 PM on Jun. 4, 2010

• Infrequent bowel movement isn't necessarily constipation. Especially in a breastfed baby. Constipation is hard pebble-like poop that is hard to pass and causes pain. If the baby is fine and showing no signs of pain or passing hard stool. Leave well enough alone. If your ped didn't tell you that s/he is an idiot.
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 2:34 PM on Jun. 4, 2010

• Wait. Babies don't have to have stools every day, breast or formula fed. Anything you do is more dangerous than just waiting. Some things you do could even kill your baby. I agree that if the baby's doctor told you to do that the doc is an idiot and it's time to find a new doc.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 7:21 PM on Jun. 4, 2010

• ^^ Are you kidding me? Why would you even say that to her without explaining yourself?
    acurran88

Answer by acurran88 at 7:56 PM on Jun. 4, 2010

• Breastfed babies often go more than a week between bowel movements. As long as your baby is comfortable, don't worry!

Answer by rkoloms at 9:28 PM on Jun. 5, 2010

• I wouldn't try juice or anything like that. If you put some corn syrup in the bottle it works great. That is what my doctor says to do. The problem isn't that your baby isnt getting enough fluids its that he or she is not getting enough held into the poop. Corn syrup helps keep moisture in the poop so your baby can have a good bowl movement.
    Peytonsmommy375

Answer by Peytonsmommy375 at 2:00 PM on Jun. 7, 2010