Afraid my 22 month old son is behind....

My son will be 2 years old on august 15th of this year and i am worried he is a bit behind. I read something online that most 2 year olds can count to 20. My son can only count to 2 and its all backwards sometimes he counts "1,2,1,2,1 then 2,1,1,2" I have been trying to teach him at least 3 or more lol. Also he doesnt know himself as Owen I dont think. Like I know he knows his name but cant say his name. He knows alot of words and before around like 1 1/2 he couldnt say much but his vocab has expanded so much lately. He says pretty hard words like gorilla, circle, rectangle, My name(Dorothy) and so much more! He also says like words in a sentence like I did it or you did it..lol. He is pretty good at most words. just wondering if he might be a bit behind. since he was a baby though he has been way ahead if not on track with all the behaviors and stuff for his age. Help tell me if he is behind now.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:10 PM on Jun. 4, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• really?? 20..haha whoever wrote that expects all kids to be genuises. My son is 22 months and is behind..he can't say any of those words..he says drink teeth thank you bye momma dadda oh my god..lol and thats about it. I don't think he knows himself as Collin but he knows when I say Collin I mean him but if I say wheres Collins belly he still points to mine. lol I think your son is fine and will learn when he's ready.
    Anonymous

• that doesn't sound behind at all - count to 20 by 2?? I don't think its a requirement - some kids may be able to maybe.. but that would be advanced to say the least.. I think you shouldn't focus on milestones anymore - for the next couple years it will all mix up and happen naturally.
    Anonymous

• My 20 mo grandson doesn't say any words! No way a 22 mo should even count to three, unless he has one of those moms. Some may but it's not typical.

Go to google and find some child development web sites. Dr. Sears should have info on his site and BabyCenter. My grandson can make the sounds for the beginning of the Star Wars song.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 2:18 PM on Jun. 4, 2010

• Gailll that's an unfair assumption!!! My 23mo. old son knows his alphabet and how to count to 10 he can say them and he knows what they are when you write them down, neither me nor my husband could ever be considered one of "those" parents. Is it normal for a child his age? No it isn't, but he picked it up somehow. OP I don't think that guideline applies until your child is actually 2 your 22 mo. is doing fabulously and might I add speaking quite well. BTW my son doesn't ever say his own name either but then again he refers to himself as me so he wouldn't need to know it would he?
    Anonymous

• --original poster---

Thanks for all the responses ladies. I was just a little worried. I feel better now though. MY son is pretty advanced for his age when it comes to knowing things. thanks again everyone
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:51 AM on Jun. 5, 2010