What can I take for a sore throat?

My dr never gave me an approved meds list, and I have had an awful sore throat the last 2 days, and it's starting to get unbearable. I've tried all the natural "remedies" and they've all failed...gargling salt water didn't work(where my throat hurt is further down than gargling can reach), drinking hot water didn't work, ice cream/ice cubes didn't work, sucking on hard candies neither. I'm at my wit's end and want to know if there is a cough syrup I can take, or which cough drops I can use...something to get rid of this horrid sore throat...it's getting to the point that I'm having a hard time breathing.
BTW--I REALLY don't want to call the dr's because he's not there and his nurse is a total witch!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:18 PM on Jun. 4, 2010 in Pregnancy

• There is nothing that works for a sore throat even if you aren't pregnant unless it is something that needs antibiotics or thrush. It's recommended that most strep throats not be treated with antibiotics, they can heal on their own.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 2:21 PM on Jun. 4, 2010

• For future med reference you can look at www.pwhealth.com There is a list of pregnancy approved meds. Sore throat is tough. I would go with tea with lots of honey. ????
    SoniaL

Answer by SoniaL at 2:37 PM on Jun. 4, 2010

• i had sore throat just couple of wks ago. Have you try decaf tea with lemon and some honey? The honey sooths the throat and lemon kills the germs. Sometimes I even slice a small piece of lemon and put a little salt and pepper on tthe lemon and suck on it for a couple of times a day. My doc told me I can take tylenol, but since all the recall i'm not going to take chances so I use the natural way. It took about 4 days to clear tho.
    Amy2079

Answer by Amy2079 at 3:32 PM on Jun. 4, 2010

• what kind of sore throat is it? if it's more of a burning sensation then it's acid reflux. i get a horrible burning throat if i don't take zantac before meals. acid reflux doesn't always cause heartburn, for some it causes throat burn. btw i'm 8 months pg and i've been this way since my 2nd trimester
    aliishott2

Answer by aliishott2 at 3:33 PM on Jun. 4, 2010

• Clove tea works well, as does honey and lemon. My favorite, though, is from my hs choir teacher: eat a few salty, greasy chips- ruffles are what I go for. The salt heals the abrasions that are making your throat sore, and the grease lubricates the throat so the abrasions can heal. It actually works, and it only takes about five chips or so, unless you really love salty greasy chips.
    preacherskid

Answer by preacherskid at 4:03 PM on Jun. 4, 2010

• Honey (anti-bacterial and soothing) mixed with equal parts cayenne pepper (ant-inflammatory)

Answer by rkoloms at 9:33 PM on Jun. 5, 2010