Is a VBAC more dangerous than a c-section?

I plan on asking my doctor this question but my fist prenatal appt is in one month. I just wanted to know what your thoughts/opinions on this.

thanks

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:34 PM on Jun. 4, 2010 in Just for Fun

• From what my OB told me (he wouldn't do VBAC at all) the risk is uterine rupture, which can kill you. So I'd say, YES it's more dangerous then C-section.
    TheDiva320

Answer by TheDiva320 at 2:36 PM on Jun. 4, 2010

• I think it depends on who and what circumstances, GL!
    June_Mama09

Answer by June_Mama09 at 2:36 PM on Jun. 4, 2010

• i think it depends how soon after a csec. You can rip the scar from what i've heard
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 2:40 PM on Jun. 4, 2010

• they are illegal in Ga (where I live) because of the risk of rupture. I wanted so bad to experience a vaginal birth but due to an emergency it was c section. I was just happy my son and myself was safe. I'm weary of a second c section if i get pregnant again, because multiple c sections arent exactly good either.
    Owl_Feather

Answer by Owl_Feather at 2:43 PM on Jun. 4, 2010

• OP: I HAD TO HAVE EMERGENCY C-SECTION W/ MY NOW 11 MTH OLD (ALMOST 12 MTH IN 2 WEEKS) IM SCARED TO HAVE ANOTHER ALTHOUGH MY EXPERIENCE WASNT BAD (CONSIDERING THE HORROR STORYS I HEARD) JUST PAINFUL
    Anonymous

• VBAC is your best bet!!!! Most C-sections are not necessary. My cousin and I were just talking about this yesterday. She wants a home water birth and she is studying to be a midwife. MY grandma is against her having a home birth and I am all for it. I think that hospitals and Dr.s try and get people to have c-sections far to often. Hospitals rate of c-sections is around 85% where as a midwife is only 3%. Of course there are people who really need them like my mother who can not give birth vaginaly and tried but my brother would not come out and when they took him out he had a nasty cut on his head. Turns out my mom has a bone in the way. A friend of mine had a c-section because she was 5 days overdue. Her son was only about 7 lbs and could have been in there a bit longer. Dr.s and hospitals get more money with c-sections. In short go VBAC!!!

delilahsmom1177

Answer by delilahsmom1177 at 2:50 PM on Jun. 4, 2010

• I have heard that rupture is a risk. My daughter had a C-section to deliver her twins and her doctor gave her an okay for a VBAC with her second delivery. However, after dilating to 10, her baby would not move into the birth canal because of his size and they had to do an emergency C-section. It seems that Doctors all have different opnions about a VBAC.
    gertie41

Answer by gertie41 at 2:53 PM on Jun. 4, 2010

• the risk of rupture is only marginally higher in most VBACs. mothers who've NEVER had a VBAC are also at risk of rupture.
    autodidact

Answer by autodidact at 3:10 PM on Jun. 4, 2010

• No. But finding a Dr. willing to do it may be tricky. After all, a C-section is easier for a Dr. and they will get paid more.

Fewer complications. You're less likely to get an infection and have serious blood loss with a successful VBAC than with a repeat C-section.
    Shorter recovery time. You'll have a shorter hospital stay after a VBAC than you would after a repeat C-section. Avoiding surgery will help your energy and stamina return more quickly, as well as reduce the expense of childbirth.
    More participation in the birth. For some women, it's important to experience a vaginal delivery. If you have a successful VBAC, you may get to hold and breast-feed your baby sooner than you would after a repeat C-section.
    Impact on future pregnancies. If you're planning a larger family, VBAC may be a better option with each subsequent delivery. Repeat C-sections get more complicated each time.
    Anonymous

• My source is mayoclinic.com, just in case you want more info. GL
    Anonymous