EDD Unemployment Claim Form Question?

I am recieving unemployment but only because I am working part time, on the claim form it asks did you look for work. In the past people have told me that if you don't look for work they won't send you a check. Since I am working do I still have to look for work? If I do then I will, and will report that I did, but I don't want to if I don't have to since I am already working. TIA

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:43 PM on Jun. 4, 2010 in Money & Work

• So basically what you want is to work part-time and get full time pay. SMH Yes, if you are receiving unemployment due to your hours being cut then you do have to continue to look for a full time job. The only exception to this is if it is a temporary cut in hours such as you work full time during one week but let's say your place of employment closes for the entire week of Memorial day or 4th of July, or they are closed one week a month, etc.

Anonymous

• Yes, you have to be looking for work. You must mark that. And expect that your unemployment check will be shorted by whatever you earn in your part time job...you must report that income as well.

Answer by gdiamante at 4:18 PM on Jun. 4, 2010

• Thank you PP, I just wanted to make sure I still had to look for a job, I didnt understand why at first if I already have one, but I guess they want you to find an actual full time job, so thats why you have to keep looking, ok I understand now. And to the first PP you obviously didnt understand what my question was so you can continue to SYH all you want =). I was working at a job for 7 years then they closed down, 3 months ago, I just got a new job two weeks ago, I am going to report my earnings, I just wanted to know if I still had to look for a job still since I just got one, and there is no set schedule, so I may work full time hours one week and part time hours the next week, so I was confused on whether or not I still had to mark if I am looking for a job
    Anonymous

• Yes, you have to look for either a second part time job or a full time job. You need to show proof that you have applied for at least five jobs every week.

There are lots of great tips in the CafeMom Job Hunting Moms group: http://www.cafemom.com/group/102837

Answer by rkoloms at 9:16 AM on Jun. 5, 2010

• My friend has to do this. She puts in random job info if she hasn't actually looked that week. EDD has a horrible way of finding any excuse not to send a check. Once my friend didn't update her online resume and they stopped sending checks. It took 10 days to figure out even if she added a period or removed 1 word it would be considered an update. Stupid I know.
    Most states are low in money so any excuse to hold back on claims.... Do it by the book and you'll be okay.
    parrishsky

Answer by parrishsky at 11:14 AM on Jun. 5, 2010