Ok, not meant to be offensive. If you've gained a lot of weight or are really overweight...

How did you let it happen? Didn't you start noticing that you were 5,10,20 lbs overweight and do something about it then? I don't really understand how people can get obese and morbidly obese without noticing before it gets to a point where you are 50 lbs. overweight. How does that happen? Medical problems? Baby Weight?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:49 PM on Jun. 4, 2010 in Just for Fun

• Funny you ask this today. I just left the Urologist's office. I had a kidney stone and they blasted it last week. I have to go on a LOW OXYLATE DIET to not get them again. I told the doctor I did that before and gained 80 POUNDS! I got 50 of it off and that is what caused the stone so I have to give up healthy food now. That just sucks. I don't want to get the weight back on but I also don't want the pain of the kidney stone. So this is my dilemma - FAT or PAIN?

Answer by admckenzie at 2:52 PM on Jun. 4, 2010

• I have gained about 10 lbs every year, for almost 5 years. Its really only about a pound a month, so it comes on so gradual that you get used to it! One day you wake up and realize how FAT you are, and its a huge fight to get it off!
    christyg

Answer by christyg at 2:53 PM on Jun. 4, 2010

• OP: I really am not trying to be offensive. But this happened to my mom. She found herself at 190 and said she didn't notice until she looked at some pics. from my sister's graduation. I just wonder how one can not notice. Maybe she avoided looking at herself? She went on to lose a ton of weight and continues to.
    Anonymous

• I had issues with thyroid that contributed to me gaining weight very rapidly. I ended up 25 to 30 pounds overweight before I got the thyroid issue under control. Then I got pregnant and gained about 30 more pounds; I obviously lost some after the baby was born, but when I stopped breastfeeding and went back to a very stressful desk job with lots of overtime I gained about 15 pounds back. SO, here I am about 45 pounds above my ideal weight. I'm at a place I never thought I would be, but I'm working on it again.
    Anonymous

• "OP: I really am not trying to be offensive. But this happened to my mom. She found herself at 190 and said she didn't notice until she looked at some pics. from my sister's graduation. I just wonder how one can not notice. Maybe she avoided looking at herself? She went on to lose a ton of weight and continues to."

I do understand. You know your pants area little tighter and you need a bigger size, so you know you're gaining weight. Still, it happens so gradually that you don't realize how much weight. You see yourself in the mirror every day and you don't look that different than the day before, but when you see a picture it really slaps you in the face.
    Anonymous

• I need to lose a minimum of 15 pounds. I know I am overweight because I am not active enough and I admit that I eat too much. It is just that simple. I am now cutting my daily caloric intake and walking everyday or using my treadmill. I know there is no excuse to be overweight and I want to live a long healthy life.
    gertie41

Answer by gertie41 at 3:02 PM on Jun. 4, 2010

• I had a massive goider and that caused me to gain weight so fast that I was overwieght within about two months. I had gained 50lbs while exercising and eating three small meals a day. Plus I walked four miles a day besides the working out. Now I can't loose it even with the goider gone and the thyroid fixed. It royally sucks but I have come to the point where i don't give a damn because there isn't much i can do. I am finally starting to loose a little bit though.
    tanya_marieh

Answer by tanya_marieh at 3:05 PM on Jun. 4, 2010

• Obesity runs in my family, which isn't an excuse but does contribute to a small part of it. My weight gain started when I was in middle school. I was stick thin up until I was about 12 years old and my parents never taught me or my brother the importance of staying active or eating right and honestly I do blame it on them because as parents they should have been more active in teaching those things. Now I'm 24 and struggling to lose weight. I'm also strict with my own kids, ages 5 and 4, about eating right and playing outside - any kind of game that involves being active. I'm stuck in the habits of my childhood and it's not an easy thing to over come but I'm slowly making a dent in my unhealthy living, working out is slowly becoming easier - my routine is light because I'm also a severe asthmatic. If I didn't have the asthma to worry about I'd be working out a lot more.
    Anonymous

• MY BEST FRIEND JUST FOUND OUT SHE HAS FSGS ....SHE GAINED 30 POUNDS IN WATER WEIGHT ......(LOSING SOME/GAINING WEIGHT ) SHE NOW HAS TO TAKE STEROIDS SO SHE WILL GAIN ATLEAST 25 POUNDS ! SHE NOTICED BECAUSE IT HAPPENED OVER NIGHT .....WE ALL JUST LOOK AT OUR SELVES IN THE MIRROR EVERYDAY SO ONE POUND A DAY DOESN'T PHYSICALLY CHANGE THE WAY YOU/ i LOOK !
    ELIZABETHSMO902

Answer by ELIZABETHSMO902 at 3:08 PM on Jun. 4, 2010

• I had my thyroid removed in 2005 due to thyroid cancer. I weighed 98#'s then. I currently weigh around 200#. I don't eat junk food, I excercise (walk and work out daily at the gym), I drink 100+oz. of water a day, I was my calorie intake, I avoid carbs, II don't over eat, I don't snack at night, etc.. I do everything right (I have a nutrionist and am on a plan and I was given a specific workout plaan that I follow) and it is impossible for me to lose weight. According to my Dr. this is a direct result of living life without a thyroid. BUT, I am very healthy, normal bp, low cholesterol levels, etc.. And that is what counts the most.
    Anonymous