What happened to post racial America?

a Republican state senator using the slur "raghead" for GOP gubernatorial candidate Nikki Haley, a Christian of Indian Sikh descent, and for President Obama

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ynews/ynews_pl2410

City Councilman Steve Blair spearheaded a public campaign on his talk show at Prescott radio station KYCA-AM (1490) to remove the mural.

In a broadcast last month, according to the Daily Courier in Prescott, Blair mistakenly complained that the most prominent child in the painting is African-American, saying: "To depict the biggest picture on the building as a Black person, I would have to ask the question: Why?"

http://www.usatoday.com/news/nation/2010-06-04-altered-mural-arizona-race-debate_N.htm?

sweet-a-kins

Asked by sweet-a-kins at 3:39 PM on Jun. 4, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• I think hiding it has made it worse. Leave it all out in the open, so we can make fun of the bastards and ostracize them.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 4:02 PM on Jun. 4, 2010

• sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 3:40 PM on Jun. 4, 2010

• it never existed
    Adeline1210

Answer by Adeline1210 at 3:41 PM on Jun. 4, 2010

• I agree with Adeline. It never existed. Some people are racist and hateful and ignorant no matter how much they deny or try to hide it.
    Anonymous

• I agree with lovin.
    29again

Answer by 29again at 4:19 PM on Jun. 4, 2010

• It doesn't help when you don't know what terms are OK to use, and which ones are slurs this month, cause chances are the acceptable terms will be different next month.
    Anonymous

• Rag Head was never acceptable. Except in S Carolina where they are just plain mean and prejudiced. I lived there for a while....so I saw it first hand, Disgusting.
    Anonymous

• never heard of Raghead so Im glad I know now.. wouldnt want to accidently say it in the wrong place ya know?

See my point.. not everyone knows what is acceptable or not these days
    I remember when thongs were your flipflops now is a kind of underwear... it took me a while to stop calling my flip flops to thongs.
    I remember when gay used to mean a happy person... I was 12 and in shock when I heard the new meaning!

I wish words would stick with their original meanings instead of changing it all the time!
    Shaneagle777

Answer by Shaneagle777 at 5:12 PM on Jun. 4, 2010

• by: lovinangels I think hiding it has made it worse. Leave it all out in the open, so we can make fun of the bastards and ostracize them.

agreed

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 6:56 PM on Jun. 4, 2010

• I too agree with Adeline...racism will ALWAYS be alive and well in the United States! Sweets, I don;t know where you got the notion that racism in this country disappeared!!! Guess Obama isn't living up to yet another one of his campaign promises!
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 7:18 PM on Jun. 4, 2010