Commandment question

ok so I know there are three different versions of this but all are basically the same. My question is on the this commandment;

Do not make idols of any kind, whether in the shape of birds or animals or fish. You must never worship or bow down to them, for I, the Lord your God, am a jealous God who will not share your affection with any other god! I do not leave unpunished the sins of those who hate me, but I punish the children for the sins of their parents to the third and fourth generations. But I lavish my love on those who love me and obey my commands, even for a thousand generations

Why is god jealous of other gods if they are false? What is there to be jealous of and why would there be other gods if he is supposedly the only one? Is this admitting there are other gods and some twist it around? Why punish the sins of the children whos parents do not love or believe? How is that just?

WonderWoman1979

Asked by WonderWoman1979 at 3:41 PM on Jun. 4, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• again...I love you WonderWoman1979, lol!
    Adeline1210

Answer by Adeline1210 at 3:44 PM on Jun. 4, 2010

• There was once a great discussion on this. I don't recall if it was this section or in a group. Hmm maybe I should see if I can find it again.
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 3:44 PM on Jun. 4, 2010

• please do if you can and post it or let me know. I am just curious. I am not bashing or being nasty to anyone who believes I am simply asking a question
    WonderWoman1979

Answer by WonderWoman1979 at 3:47 PM on Jun. 4, 2010

• When it says other gods it refers to the made up gods of the people. God isn't saying he is jealous of other gods that are out there but saying he won't tolerate people making up gods and worshipping them.
    SoniaL

Answer by SoniaL at 3:50 PM on Jun. 4, 2010

• "You must never worship or bow down to them, for I, the Lord your God, am a jealous God who will not share your affection with any other god! "

This right here is God admitting to the existance of other Gods. How interesting.
    sahmamax2

Answer by sahmamax2 at 3:50 PM on Jun. 4, 2010

• When it says other gods it refers to the made up gods of the people. "

It does not say this.
    sahmamax2

Answer by sahmamax2 at 3:51 PM on Jun. 4, 2010

• exactly. It DOES not say that or else I would not have asked my question and I looked at all three books...which is also confusing lol
    WonderWoman1979

Answer by WonderWoman1979 at 3:52 PM on Jun. 4, 2010

• History lesson!

Before/During the start of Christianity, all other religions had multiple gods who were worshipped- the Greek and Roman gods. It "means" that if you are Christian you follow only God (proper noud), you cannot have gods (common noun) or participate in another religion at the same time.

Christianity taught that idol worship was wrong. For hundreds of years, there were no religous images. As Christianity continued to be spread, images were created as a form of instruction- they told the stories of the bible in pictures for illiterate followers. Clearly, that's gone to pot nowadays, but what hasn't?
    Crystal1124

Answer by Crystal1124 at 3:59 PM on Jun. 4, 2010

• I can't seem to find it. : (
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 3:59 PM on Jun. 4, 2010

• Why don't you ask HIM yourself?
    Anonymous