Do you love your neighbor as yourself?

According to this scripture, ONE of the MOST important commandments is to love your neighbor as YOURSELF. So, my question is, why do so many seem so ready to cast down judgement on others (non believers, gays)? Is this loving others as yourself?
29 Jesus answered, “The most important is, ‘Hear, O Israel: The Lord our God, the Lord is one. 30 And you shall love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind and with all your strength.’ 31 The second is this: ‘You shall love your neighbor as yourself.’ There is no other commandment greater than these.” 32 And the scribe said to him, “You are right, Teacher. You have truly said that he is one, and there is no other besides him. 33 And to love him with all the heart and with all the understanding and with all the strength, and to love one's neighbor as oneself, is much more than all whole burnt offerings and sacrifices.”

sahmamax2

Asked by sahmamax2 at 3:56 PM on Jun. 4, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• Another quote:

1 John 4:20 (New International Version)
    20If anyone says, "I love God," yet hates his brother, he is a liar. For anyone who does not love his brother, whom he has seen, cannot love God, whom he has not seen.
    sahmamax2

Answer by sahmamax2 at 3:58 PM on Jun. 4, 2010

• well most days, I hate myself so i would have to say yes i do.
    Anonymous

• I don't think a lot of people love themselves.
    anng.atlanta

Answer by anng.atlanta at 3:59 PM on Jun. 4, 2010

• I'm sorry to hear that Anon:(
    sahmamax2

Answer by sahmamax2 at 4:00 PM on Jun. 4, 2010

• my neighbors are really rude, it's hard to love them, so i just stay out of their way. but if they ever need anything i would never turn them away.
    Anonymous

• clapping

Is it sad that the Christians who are supposed to follow this all have reasons why they only have to love certian neighbors... Yet the non-believers would rather have peace and tolerance from and with all regardless?!? Just makes no sense...  I don't care what faith you belong to, it's never a reason for hate, ignorance or intolerance!

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 4:07 PM on Jun. 4, 2010

• i don't know my neighbors.. I stick to myself mostly.. but, yes... i do
    Kaelansmom

Answer by Kaelansmom at 4:17 PM on Jun. 4, 2010

• Do people understand how the word "neighbor" is used here? It doesn't mean literally your next door neighbor ONLy. It applies to all people around you.
    sahmamax2

Answer by sahmamax2 at 4:21 PM on Jun. 4, 2010

• I try but there times when One particular person that makes it oh so hard. That's when I just take a deep breathe and realise she's not quite right and needs more love then she gives.

oldermomof5

Answer by oldermomof5 at 4:37 PM on Jun. 4, 2010

• Judging and calling a spade a spade isn't the same thing. The Bible says homosexuality is wrong. So I will never be ok with gay marriage. I will not mistreat the gays. It is not my place as a human to judge, but the Bible also says not to turn a blind eye to sin and to those who are being disobedient to His will.
    Anonymous