Define, In YOUR OWN WORDS, what a "real Christian is."

This came up in one of my groups, one woman who is proud to be Christian was told that she's not because she doesn't fit a very strict mold by another mom...

Personally, I don't see how someone who believes in Jesus as the Christ could be anything but Christian - at least in some form... But after reading a recent post it made me wonder... How many people feel you need to follow a set list of rules and regulations on top of believing in Jesus...

So, share with us what YOU FEEL makes one a Christian. - Not the clinical definition, but YOUR OPINION...
**Feel free to post anon. I know this could get ugly, but it's an honest question. Also please let us know if you consider yourself Christian.

Asked by SabrinaMBowen at 4:00 PM on Jun. 4, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• A true Christian believes Jesus Christ was the son of God and the savior of mankind. He sacrificed his life for sins.

A true Christian would believe that and try to live showing an example of kindness and openness and service like the example that was left by Christ himself. They would not prod, poke, bait, hurt anyone who didnt think or look or believe just like them. And even tho they realized they werent perfect they would strive for that attitude and lifestyle every day. There would be a humbleness about them and the way they lived would show they were trying and leading by example not fear or guilt or egging people on,etc.
    Amaranth361

Answer by Amaranth361 at 6:22 PM on Jun. 4, 2010

• To me a Christian is a believer of God.
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 4:02 PM on Jun. 4, 2010

• Your relationship with God/Jesus is personal to you and nobody has right to tell you what that relationship is.
    lowencope

Answer by lowencope at 4:03 PM on Jun. 4, 2010

• a Christian is...
    1)A believer in Christ. Believing that Christ was born of a virgin, lived a sinless life, died for the atonement of our sins, rose again on the 3rd day and is coming back to claim his bride.
    2)Daily striving to be the best person you can be through the strength found in Christ. Following as closely as you can to the straight and narrow path.
    Anonymous

• I think anyone who believes in God/Jesus AND uses Jesus' life on earth as their model to live is a Christian. Anyone who loves, respects, honors and shows tolerance in the name of their God, is a Christian.
    There are no "rules" one should have to follow, IMO, in order to achieve this. Jesus didn't live by rules....he lived by his heart and love within his heart. This requires nothing but inner peace and outward grace.
    sahmamax2

Answer by sahmamax2 at 4:08 PM on Jun. 4, 2010

• M2KnL~ANd who is right and who is wrong within all of those ideas of Jesus? No one can say....not even you.
    sahmamax2

Answer by sahmamax2 at 4:13 PM on Jun. 4, 2010

• I feel I am a Christian. I pray, pray with my children and my husband, and my extended family. I have recently started to study the bible on my own again. I believe I have a relationship with the Lord. Yes I do think Jesus was the son of God, I also believe in the Trinity. I have friends who do not. I have Jehova Witnesses, Mormons and atheists who I care about. What they believe is their opinion. It is how they treat me as a person that determines if I am friends with them or not. I have even known some women to practice Wicca, if that is the correct term. I walked away with those friendships (from moving) with a little more knowledge of the subject.
    But I feel a "Christian" person should treat others with kindness, respect, gratitude, forgiveness. However that is how any human being should be treated by any other person, no matter what religious background you consider yourself to be.
    2BlondeBabies

Answer by 2BlondeBabies at 4:13 PM on Jun. 4, 2010

• "Yes we can say who is right....read the Bible. Dont' add or take away from the words of God. You say no one can say, but you are wrong."

No you can't....you can say YOUR OPINION but it ends there. YOUR bible is what you believe but it is no more right than your neighbors bible.
    sahmamax2

Answer by sahmamax2 at 4:18 PM on Jun. 4, 2010

• Believing in God and Jesus. I don't go to church that much, but I don't think that makes me any less Christian than anybody else. I can believe from home and be a Christian from home. I don't believe going to mass makes one more Christian than another.
    pipermomofash

Answer by pipermomofash at 4:22 PM on Jun. 4, 2010

• Jesus gave 2 commands, love god and love your neighbor as yourself. If you'r to busy telling others they are wrong for their beleifs and evil, etc. You must not love yourself very much as it is clear you don't love your neighbors. Frankly a Christian is one believes in God and Jesus and strives to better THEMSELVES through Christi's teachings. You start nit-picking others about what they're doing wrong and you're getting further and further from Christ, but that's just my opinion.
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 4:29 PM on Jun. 4, 2010