Looking for answers

I see a few people on here write how we are born in the body God intended us to have. So things like plastic surgery, especially changing sexes/genders, is bad. But where in the Bible (or any other religious book for that matter) does it state this? Where does it say that feeling like you were born the wrong sex/gender is wrong?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:04 PM on Jun. 4, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• Well, it doesn't. Things like this are, and will always be, up for personal interpretation. It could be argued that plastic surgery would be Vanity at work, but that's just not always the case. Sex changes, it's easy to see how people could see this as wrong, because these same people tend to be rather anti-gay. But we have proof that transgendered people actually have the brain chemistry of the opposite sex, so just like fixing a broken heart valve, sex reassignment could be seen as almost a "mental health" surgery... I guess the point is that nothing is black and white. If you do what YOU believe is right, you can't go wrong.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 4:12 PM on Jun. 4, 2010

• I ditto Sabrina.
    sahmamax2

Answer by sahmamax2 at 4:15 PM on Jun. 4, 2010

• It doesn't.
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 4:26 PM on Jun. 4, 2010

• I guess the point is that nothing is black and white. If you do what YOU believe is right, you can't go wrong.

This statement is the epitome of WRONG. Just because a person believes that something isn't wrong doesn't make it right. Some people believe it's right to beat their kids or spouse. So, it's OK for them because they believe it's right? Some people believe it is OK to steal things they want simply because they can't afford them otherwise. How does their belief make it right? Contrary to what people choose to "believe", moral absolutes do exist in our world. Things are black & white. This kind of thinking is why our world is in the condition it's in, because some people feel that they have the right to do whatever they want simply because they don't see any reason why they should have to live within any standards.

Anonymous

• The Bible says the body is a temple (as a Christian you are asking Jesus to dwell in your heart) and it specificly says not to desicrate your body, which would involve mutilation of any sort.

As for trans gender. That is homosexuality and the Bible is very clear that homosexuality is a sin. There is also a specific verse that says women should look and dress like women and men should look and dress like men.
    Anonymous

• Let's take killing another. Seems like a pretty black and white moral absolute, you don' do it, it's wrong. What if it's in self defense? What about in time of war? What about killing a big or a snake? Anything that you can say "except in this case" or "but" or add any other precursing condition to takes it from being an absolute to being subjective.

KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 4:42 PM on Jun. 4, 2010

• OP here - Anon @ 4:39, that is what this question is about. SHOW IT TO ME! I don't care what version of the Bible you use right now since I will go back and research it and get the actual meaning, not the one men have created. Also, homosexuality and transgenderism are two DIFFERENT things. So show me where it says being transgender is wrong (since I already know it doesn't say homosexuality is wrong).
    Anonymous

• Anything that rebels against Yahweh's natural order of things in any situation is sin. But the "Good News" is that Yahweh loves us despite our sins, and we are all invited to live in his promise of a New heavens and new earth. All we have to do is be baptized into his son's saving name [Yahshua] and allow him to mold us into the people we were always meant to be. We are to turn from our sinful ways and repent! We must follow his son's example to complete obedience to his word. When we do this we will be transformed from sinners to saints, and we will be crowned as sons [inheritors] of the throne alongside Yahshua to reign for a 1000 yrs on this earth, and forever in the next! Blessings..
    Daphna28

Answer by Daphna28 at 4:50 PM on Jun. 4, 2010

• Yes, Anon- there are things that are wrong... I wasn't saying there weren't. What I was saying was that if you follow your conscience you won't have issues. I wasn't saying someone should go out and steal new jeans because they can't afford them. But NOTHING is black and white. As Kristi said, Murder is wrong, no question. But if you have the choice between killing an intruder or letting him rape your child, is killing him really wrong? What about stealing? Of course it's wrong to steal, but if you have the choice between stealing a few oranges off a tree or letting your family starve - is it really wrong? The list of "gray" goes on forever. And we weren't really talking about things like murder or theft with this question, we were talking about surgery... WAY two different things.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 4:59 PM on Jun. 4, 2010

• Anon 4:39 - If you build a temple, is it wrong to renovate? How about add art? Just like a temple will need updates and renovations from time to time, so does the human body, both break down over time. Mutilation would be changing it for the worse, like graffiti or breaking windows in an actual temple would be... I agree that cutting off your ear is not "good" but adding earrings or fixing your teeth is an entirely different thing... One is harm, the other is simple improvement... Again, it's all in how we see it.

Secondly, I have NEVER found a part of the Bible that says homosexuality is wrong. It isn't there!

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 5:06 PM on Jun. 4, 2010