For those of you who disagree with homeschooling please explain why?

mamallamaof2

Asked by mamallamaof2 at 4:10 PM on Jun. 4, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• I dont disagree with ALL home schooling. I disagree with the moms who isolate their kids(and yeah they are out there a dear friend of mine is one of them). I think as long as your kids are socialized, and learn those life lessons, home schooling is wonderful. I could NOT do it, no way. I completely respect those who do-correctly. :)
    Bearsjen

Answer by Bearsjen at 4:13 PM on Jun. 4, 2010

• I dont really disagree with homeschooling but I do know someone who does it. I hate generalizations so i wont do it..but here is what concerns me with her. She controls EVERYTHING around her kids. (great kid btw). She will cut off cntact with people if she doesnt liek one thing they do and has to be a perfectionist at everything. Unfortunately this is all her kids are exposed to. She is anal about a schedule and routine. IDK it just seems too much. She does have her kids in outside activities but they never just learn to cope with life cause she is ALWAYS right there managing everything.
    Anonymous

• Well I don't really disagree but I think it's good for the kids to be in school and interact with kids their age. School is like a small community and the kids learn to co-exist and co-operate. Even the negatives of school are good. For instance, they get to fights etc. They learn to stand up for themselves. That's why my daughter goes to school. But I'm not against homeschooling.
    pipermomofash

Answer by pipermomofash at 4:13 PM on Jun. 4, 2010

• the only thing i'm against is that they dont get much socialization. but there are other ways for you child to interact with kids their age.
    jennifer588

Answer by jennifer588 at 4:14 PM on Jun. 4, 2010

• I don't think all parents are qualified to teach their children. More of a disservice.

Anonymous

• I agree with Anon 3:27. Is a high school educated parent, or worst a drop-out, qualified to teach their children? Who is the child's advocate in those situations?
    Anonymous

• If they are high school educated wouldnt they be just as qualified to teach their kids as someone who went only to hgh school and not college? Are you saying that only people with teaching certificates can teach? Im just wondering why all the negativity about HSing. If someone dropped out in say the 8th grade would they then be okay to teach up to that grade? From everything I have read there are alot of options for homeschoolers now, such as co-ops, online school ect, their are even teaching swaps for parents who dont feel comfortable in teaching certain subjects where they can trade off teaching with other moms the things they do feel comfortable with.
    mamallamaof2

Answer by mamallamaof2 at 5:01 PM on Jun. 4, 2010

• If a parent would not finish their own basic education, what makes them think they are qualified to teach?
    Anonymous

• I think for certain people it's fantastic and the kids benefit...andI think that's the case for the majority of homeschoolers. Unfortunately, like most groups, there is a vocal segment that really gives them a bad rap - homeschooling because they don't want their children learning scientific facts because of religious reasons, or because they think it's "easier" somehow (because they don't fully commit)...or worst of all, the ones that come to CM and can't construct a simple sentence without grammatical and spelling errors. I also strongly disagree with the sentiment that "anyone can homeschool". I believe there are moms that have NO business teaching a child english, math and science because they don't grasp the concepts themselves. Again, this is the minority. Unfortunately those are the ones people tend to remember. It must be an uphill battle to advocate HSing against all those negative examples.
    Anonymous

• ANON 2:55 A lof of the Moms on CM can't spell or construct a simple sentence - and I bet most of them actually went to PUBLIC and send their kids to public!
    Anonymous