Agree / Disagree & Why? ‘Helicopter’ parents have neurotic kids

updated 2:42 p.m. ET, Thurs., June 3, 2010

BOSTON - Overly protective parents might be leaving a lasting impact on their child's personality, and not in a good way, a new study finds.

The results show having so-called "helicopter parents" was associated with being dependent, neurotic and less open, a slew of personality traits that are generally thought of as undesirable.

See link for full article:
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/37493795/

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:12 PM on Jun. 4, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• Anonymous

• agree
    Anonymous

• I'm a "Train Wreck Parent"
    HAHA.
    Helicoptor parent? What term will they think of next? LOL
    I heard that term for the first time on here today.
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 4:18 PM on Jun. 4, 2010

• I agree! Kids with helicopter parents never learn how to deal with things, cause mommy or daddy is ALWAYS THERE to divert trouble in any way shape or form. The parents make sure that forms are filled out & returned, that bills are paid, that their little darling is always happy and doesn't have to worry about anything. These parents often follow their kids to college, and continue the coptering there. By the time my kids are that age, I should be done, I should have taught them most of what they need to know to succeed in life.
    29again

Answer by 29again at 4:24 PM on Jun. 4, 2010

• agree!!!!
    most of them are know-it-all little brats
    Anonymous

• I have a friend who is a helicopter parent. SHe sends all her kids to a Christain school and won't let them play wiith any other children but their class mates and she is with them all the time. She basically ignores her husband because she is always hovering over her children. She refuses to let them play sports because she is afraid that if the team loses,it will crush her children. She doesn't believe in keeping scores in games. She thinks our Prsident is a Muslim and a terrorist and is afraid her children will be indoctrinated in Liberal politics if they attend Publuic School or talk with other families. It is so self-desructive and harmful. I don't know how her husband can stand it, He is not like her at all.Her kids look frightened all the time.
    Anonymous

• agree! kids have to get out there (within a reasonable distance) and learn things for themselves.
    secondtyme520

Answer by secondtyme520 at 5:06 PM on Jun. 4, 2010

• pp : Wow thats extreme... sad and unhealthy... what will happen to the kids if something happens to her one day.. just a thought, not that it will but you want to equip your children to be healthy functional adults. My soon to be ex expected me to do everything for my kids.. I rebelled.. I said no they need to know how to handle issues and to do dishes and laundry and I am not going to send my kids out into the world not knowing how to handle things.

What that mother is doing is instilling fear into her children and its not Godly fear either.
    Shaneagle777

Answer by Shaneagle777 at 5:08 PM on Jun. 4, 2010

• Agree. I heard 1 mom who attends her son's daily HS sports practice. Can you imagine being a 17 y.o., soon to be considered a man and having mommy standing at your practice? What would that do to your psyche? Think that kid's going to flourish if he moves away for college (or the military) in the Fall? WHY would a mother do something like this? What purpose does it serve?

Anonymous

• I see it ALL. THE. TIME in my school (grades 4, 5 and 6)--parents driving their children to/from school when it's raining, too hot, or too cold--so they don't have to wait at the bus stop; same kids with cell phones. Kids calling their parents whenever they forget something, don't like the school lunch (and didn't pack a lunch) and the parents RUSH over to the school to deliver said forgotten item, or preferred lunch! Kids who get tired in the middle of the day, call their parents, and their parents again zip over to the school to bring them home early. Parents who ALLOW their children to take days off from school because the "kids have worked hard and deserve a break!!!" I could go on and on, but I think you get the message!

The problem is, these kids don't learn how to problem solve, take responsibility for their actions/inactions, or deal with petty "inconveniences!" It'll be ANOTHER lost generation! So sad.
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 6:33 PM on Jun. 4, 2010