Do you buy in bulk?

I just joined Sam's Club (that's all we have in our area) because I have been told by a lot of people that they are able to save quite a bit by buying certain things in bulk. What do you think?

momofamonkey83

Asked by momofamonkey83 at 4:31 PM on Jun. 4, 2010 in Money & Work

• No. I don't have room in my house for more. If I had people to go in with on things, and we could just buy and split, I would do that, but I just don't have room for bulk.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 4:36 PM on Jun. 4, 2010

• I also go to Sam's Club. I normally buy toilet paper, toothpaste, deodorant, toothbrushes, paper towels, etc in bulk. We have a hallway closed to store it in so that is why we are able to do it. As far as food goes, we only buy chicken, certain seasonings, and a few other things in bulk. We eat a lot of chicken, but we really don't have space in our kitchen to buy many food items in bulk.

JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 4:39 PM on Jun. 4, 2010

• We've been able to save money that way on things like dog food, cleaners, paper-products, soaps, etc. If you are one to already buy name brand on your food, then you are going to see a "savings" on that end as well. We shop aldis for our can goods so Sam's prices can't beat that..... We also will use sam club for some meat like chicken (I've been able to get 2 whole chickens for $3 each there). We also at times will use Sam's Club for the fresh produce, milk, and eggs. I watch the prices though because sometimes milk can be cheaper at aldis or other local grocers.
    SAHMinIL2

Answer by SAHMinIL2 at 4:41 PM on Jun. 4, 2010

• I buy in bulk becasue we EAT in bulk! But things are NOT always cheaper there. You really need to watch your dollars and buy the things that wil save you money, not just assuming that bulk is cheaper. I ALWAYS buy baking supplies, ketchup, syrup, coffee there, but the canned foods are usually cheaper at my local grocery store. The giant cans are a really good deal, but only if you will eat them all. (I get the peaches, pears, applesauce, and fruit cocktail on a weekly basis.) They have really good hamburger, its a little more than what I can find on sale elsewhere, but it is always consistent and great quailty.
    Go when you have a lot of time to look around and compare prices. It can be a lot of fun, but be ready to resist all sorts of temptations to spend. I rarely get out of there for under $100 on a "quick trip", and spend about $250 on a normal "Costco run"!
    christyg

Answer by christyg at 4:46 PM on Jun. 4, 2010

• I've notice with Sam's Club you really have to know your prices, know how to break down individual prices, take a calculator along shopping, etc. I worked at a grocery store for years, and my parents had a membership. My mom always took me along shopping because I could tell her the price of the basic size in my store, and she'd multiply it and figure out if the bulks really were good prices or not. Even now I'll occasionally go with my MIL and help her out the same way. And at Sam's, I've noticed quite a few things aren't any cheaper buying in bulk, and there's a surprising amount of stuff that's MORE expensive to buy there in bulk! It's disturbing to me. There's not enough there that's a truly good deal to make it worth a membership for me - if I need something I go with MIL, she pays for it, and I hand her the cash when we walk out.
    Anonymous

• i do on specific things like cereal and pasta and soup because we go through those so fast. just make sure if you know your gana buy something price check on it regular before you visit sams to make sure your not spending more.. like dieapers i know the diapers we buy are more expensive at sams..
    Anonymous

• Yes. I buy in bulk and have gotten to the point where it is beneficial. We spend about 400 dollars every paycheck on food. Some goes to food storage, some we actually use. We started doing this by doubling our purchases at the regular grocery. (Instead of two cans of soup, buying four...instead of one thing of cheese, two.) Eventually, we were able to skip the regular store and just do the Costco run. That got us ahead. Now even if I skip going to the grocery and Costco, we have plenty of food in case we are sick or dh is laid off. (A distinct possibility.)
    Anonymous

• We share a Costco membership with another family. We will often split items (like a 12 pound bag of brown rice).

Answer by rkoloms at 9:19 AM on Jun. 5, 2010